Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 20-06-20, 08:01

Hi Merry

No i didnt have a name of the husband of Lucy ,

Lucy being my Great grandmothers sister,

Last edited by Zoemcdougall; 20-06-20 at 08:06.
Old 20-06-20, 08:03

Merry are you saying That saxon Smith buried my Great Great Grandfather was related
Old 20-06-20, 08:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoemcdougall View Post
Merry are you saying That saxon Smith buried my Great Great Grandfather was related

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but ....

Lucy was your great-grandmother's sister, so your great-great-aunt. Lucy was married to John Saxon. John Saxon had a brother called Smith Saxon who died as a young man in 1909. This Smith Saxon (not your blood relative as he was only connected by marriage) was buried at Chadderton Cemetery in grave C7 123. I think this was most likely a purchased grave (so not public/pauper!), because it eventually only has two bodies in it, but a public grave would normally have been used numerous times over the years.

So, Lucy's brother-in-law was buried there in 1909. After that, the Saxon family didn't use the grave again. Time went on and Lucy was widowed and also her mother had died and was buried elsewhere. In 1941 Lucy's father, Joseph Worthy, died and for reasons we don't know, he was not interred with his wife Enid. Perhaps the grave was full, or perhaps things were tricky because of WW2, or some other reason. We can't know who actually organised Joseph's funeral. It might have been his daughter Maria as Joseph was recorded in her household for the 1939 Register (Maria Worthy married David Sutcliffe in 1912). Perhaps Maria came across an issue with burying her father and Lucy remembered the grave containing her brother-in-law, Smith Saxon, so suggested to Maria they use it for their father.

So, the two bodies in the grave are not blood relatives of each other, but they are connected by their families.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010