Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 22-08-13, 08:58
Administrator

Default Late registration question

Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

If a birth was registered a minimum of seven months late (and probably a little more than that), would it turn up on a "normal" GRO page with several other entries?

This is 1878/79 in England.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-08-13, 09:00

Merry

It ought to! Handwritten at the bottom of the page (image) and in the correct place in the indexes.

OC
Old 22-08-13, 09:00
Administrator

That post missed part of the point I was trying to make! lol (I was interrupted!!)

The birth reg isn't backdated - it's in the index of Q2 1879 but the child was baptised in September 1878!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-08-13, 09:06

I seem to remember a friend's ancestor had their birth registered when they were twenty one and there was no handwritten entry squeezed in at the bottom.

As there were then fines in place, perhaps someone registered the birth without producing the baby?
Old 22-08-13, 09:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Merry

It ought to! Handwritten at the bottom of the page (image) and in the correct place in the indexes.

OC
That sounds right!

My father's birth was registered 8 weeks after his birth, but just appears normally, but in the "wrong" quarter as those extra two weeks took the entry into the next quarter. I had assumed his entry just looks like a normal one because it wasn't very late! This one is a lot worse (apparently), yet it looks "normal" too.

Old 22-08-13, 09:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
As there were then fines in place, perhaps someone registered the birth without producing the baby?
I suppose that's possible. The mother of the baby was only aged about 19/20 and has just been widowed (or had been widowed a year, if you go only on the registration) so perhaps the registration would not have been uppermost in her mind. On the other hand, they were apparently quite well off, so any fine shouldn't have been an issue.

Old 22-08-13, 10:26
Administrator

I think it might be to do with the different procedures for a late registration within a year of the birth and one even later than that. It may be the ones more than a year late which have the handwritten entry on the page for the quarter of the actual birth.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-08-13, 19:40

I don't know if this is relevant but I have a friend whose grandmother's birth was seemingly registered late at this sort of time but the parents lied about her birth date so that she celebrated her birthday at the beginning of February but her birth certificate shows a date in April and her registration quarter was September.
Old 22-08-13, 20:13

Asa

I've heard of that before and I assume it was fairly common. Or at least not a unique situation!

OC