Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-08-13, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
I have a branch which do the same thing.

I've never worked out why, but perhaps XX Court is off YYY Road (with another exit onto ZZZ Street) which is why any or all of the above might be used.
I've come across a similar situation with the OH's Irish lot. For one person, a birth place of Carrick Hill is given, but the family actually lived in Shield's Court, one of the 'entries' behind Carrick Hill. The entries were small alleyways leading from the main road to the less than salubrious housing hidden from view!
Old 13-08-13, 12:56

My immediate thought is that all the babies were born in Mill St cos that's where gran lived. Also, I've found that street addresses were about as flexible as names, lol, with what appears to be one house having several different address "descriptions".

OC
Old 13-08-13, 13:12

I have the same thing also - my great grandmother was born Jan 1878 at 10 Netherland Place in Caledonia Street at the bottom of the Cally near Kings Cross. The family are there on the 1881 census three years later but when she was baptised at St Pancras in February 1878, the address is given as Bidborough Street. At a guess, Caeldonia Street might be in the parish of St Michael Bingfield Street but definitely not in St Pancras parish.

As my great x 3 grandmother was with the family in 1881, I've guessed that this was where she lived and my great x 2 grandparents moved about but I don't know
Old 13-08-13, 14:01
Administrator

This is the description of the enumeration district in 1861:
The south side of Raven Row, south side of Artillery Passage, east side of Sandy's Row from Artillery Passage to Tripes Yard. The whole of Rosetta Place, Frying Pan Alley, New Court, Mills's Court, and Tyson's Court.

Very close to where New Street, Bishopsgate, is now. I will look some more later but have to go out now.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-08-13, 16:37
Administrator

And this is the description of the enumeration district from 1851 (took me ages to find it as I didn't realise that the page with the Cottons on was missing from ancestry!)

All that part of the Parish of Christ Church Spitalfields which comprises the East side of Petticoat Lane, from Mills Court to the south corner of Cobbs Yard, the whole of Fishers Alley, Paradise Place, Dinah Buildings, Landers Buildings, Tripes Yard, Tuson Court and Mills Court.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-08-13, 17:03
Administrator

Quote:
(took me ages to find it as I didn't realise that the page with the Cottons on was missing from ancestry!)
Oops, so sorry Kate! I did know Ancestry didn't have it, but had forgotten about it as I've had the page saved for years.

Thanks for the enumeration district info. I hadn't really taken in before how close together some of these places are.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-08-13, 17:39

The image for the 1851 census is on Find My Past.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusSh...s=0&a=30900601

Mill's Court

Clark Cotton, head, 30, waiter
Mary Cotton, wife, 30
Lydia Cotton, daughter, 2, born Middx Spitalfields
Matilda Cotton, daughter, 3, born Middx Spitalfields
Eliza Alexander, lodger, 30, married, washerwoman, born Birmingham

A couple of doors away, there is a lodger named Margaret Clemments, married, 34, French polisher, born Bethnal Green.

I'll post this on the other thread about this family, for reference.