Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-09-14, 23:46
Administrator

Default Cuthbert Denholm of Edinburgh

My 6xg-grandmother was a Margaret Denholm who married Walter Ferrier, stabler, 20 Dec 1695 at Mid Calder, Midlothian, Scotland. Variants of her surname include Denholme and Denham.

Children of Walter and Margaret that I know of:

- Margaret (surname spelt Fairer) baptised 29 Nov 1696 Kirknewton and East Calder, Midlothian, residence parish of Mid Calder, witnesses probably not relatives as they are the same witnesses as on the previous entry.
- Margaret who married William Watt 4 Oct 1724 in Edinburgh - this could be the same Margaret as above but I think it is more likely to be a second one.
- Also there could be a William in this gap whose baptism I haven't found, and maybe a few more children.
- Bethia baptised 31 Dec 1702 St Cuthbert's Edinburgh, witnesses John Aikman and John Trotter.
- James baptised 2 Aug 1705 St Cuthbert's, witnesses Cuthbert and James Denholm (or Denham)
- Alison baptised 5 Oct 1707 St Cuthbert's, witnesses Cuthbert and James Denhams, "tennents at Blackfoord."
- Robert baptised 19 Jan 1710 St Cuthbert's, witnesses Cuthbert and James Denholm
- David born 28 Apr 1712, baptised 1 May 1712 St Cuthbert's, witnesses Jo Megget and Pat Outerstown(?)
- Walter baptised 23 Aug 1715 St Cuthbert's, witnesses James Gilmer and Tho Turnbull, John Aikman and Rob Gemmell, indwellers in Bristo.

There is a Cuthbert (Cudbert) Denholme baptised 23 Oct 1656 at Colinton, son of James, who surely must be related to Margaret, but is he her brother or her father? A Cuthbert Denholm married an Alison Hill Nov 7 1678 at Newton, Midlothian, and the marriage record says he was of the parish of St Cuthbert. The first child of theirs that I can find a baptism for is Elspeth in 1683, but there could be a few older ones, so Margaret could be their daughter, and maybe there is a James in that gap too? Or maybe Margaret was the sister of this Cuthbert?

I found some information when googling last night which said that a Cuthbert Denholm was tenant at Dreghorn, near Edinburgh, for more than 40 years up to 1671.
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site...reghorn+mains/
Ancestry has a burial record for Cuthbert Denholme, Dreghorne, 30 Jan 1665, from the Commissariot Record of Edinburgh.

I'm wondering whether he is an earlier generation of this family.

Can anyone find anything to help connect these people together, please?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-09-14, 04:12

Did you find this, Kate? A search on Denholm looks potentially fruitful.

Register of interments in the Greyfriars buryingground, Edinburgh, 1658-1700

And otherwise, some of these perhaps.

(Dreghorne OR Dreghorn) (Cuthbert OR Cudbert) (Denholm OR Denholme) "David Denholm" “Alexander Tait"

I'm sure some of that will be repetitive of what you already have, but you might spot something.

EDIT: Well, if nothing else, the Greyfriars book gives a good number of name variations to look for!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Denholm variations.jpg (7.7 KB, 3 views)

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 17-09-14 at 04:43.
Old 17-09-14, 08:32
Administrator

Thanks, Janet. It doesn't look as though any of the Denholms listed in that Greyfriars book would be mine.
I'll have a read through the Dreghorn stuff.

Old 17-09-14, 13:43
Administrator

Ah, Scotland's People has the will of Cuthbert Denholme of Dreghorn from 1665, and strangely enough, I had previously paid to view it! I may have had trouble deciphering it before and put it on the back burner. But now I can see that it mentions "John Denholme in Collingtone" his eldest son; "James Denholme in the wellmaynes(?) of Collingtone" his second son; Ninian Denholme his youngest son; "the children of Andrew Denholme" but I don't think it gives the relationship to Andrew.

So the Cuthbert Denholm who died in 1665 had at least three sons: John, James and Ninian, and presumably his son James is the father of the Cuthbert who was baptised in 1656, but I still haven't found out exactly where Margaret fits in as she would have been born after this will was written anyway.

Edit - FamilySearch has the baptism of a Robert Denholme 24 Mar 1622 at St Cuthbert's Edinburgh, son of Cuthbert Denholme and Alisone Lister. Probably fits in somewhere!

Old 17-09-14, 13:59
Administrator

There is a Margaret Denholm, daughter of Cuthbert Denholm, who married a James Bell 28 Apr 1704 at St Cuthbert's Edinburgh. So I need to make sure not to confuse her with my Margaret!

Old 18-09-14, 16:39

I've got a Will which I just can't decipher - it's written in pencil and even enlarged to A3 and it's got loads of pages. Have given up.