Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 12-09-14, 10:50
Administrator

Hmm, looking at the London Gazette, Christopher Berry the elder and Robert Rochester, booksellers, stationers etc, went bankrupt in May 1809, and then there is this from 21 Oct 1809:

The Creditors who have proved their Debts under a Commission of Bankrupt awarded and issued against Christopher Berry the Elder, and Robert Rochester, of the City of Norwich, Booksellers, Stationers, Dealers, Chapmen, and Partners, are desired either by themselves or by their Atnies, lawfully authorized for that Purpose, to meet the Assigness of the said Bankrupt's Estate and Effects, at the King's Head Inn, in the said City of Norwich, on Saturday the 4th of November next, at the Hour of Twelve of the Clock at Noon, for the Purpose of assenting to or dissenting from the commencing and prosecuting a Suit in Equity and to set aside certain Indentures of Lease and Release, bearing Date respectively the 23d and 24th Days of February last, made by the said Christopher Berry the Elder, to his Nephew Christopher Berry the Younger, of his Share and Interest of and in certain Freehold Premises, situate and being in the Parish of Saint John of Madder-Market, in the said City; and also as to the commencing, prosecuting, defending, or soliciting any other Suit or Suits, Action or Actions, for the Recovery or other the Estate and Effects of the said Bankrupts...

There look to be quite a few bankruptcy notices for both Christophers on there; I will look through them properly later.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-09-14, 12:41
Administrator

16 Jan 1810 there is a notice saying that the partnership of Christopher Berry and John Berry is dissolved and the business taken over by the said Christopher Berry, but it doesn't say which one, elder or younger. I would think younger since elder went bankrupt the previous May. Then 12 Nov 1811 Christopher Berry the younger is declared bankrupt.
Then in Oct 1817 the partnership between Christopher Berry and William Cooke Stafford is dissolved, but again, it doesn't say which Christopher.

Old 13-09-14, 12:07
geniebug

Kate, I've left two msgs to say that I am not receiving emails to tell me when people have messaged on Anzacs - even tho I have checked the relevant box, and have done so for some years - can you get someone to find out what is going on please?
Old 13-09-14, 12:29
Administrator

Did you receive my replies to your emails, Jood?

Old 13-09-14, 14:21

OC there is no evidence Mary was ever in the workhouse. I think she was probably old enough to work when her mother and siblings were taken in.

When I was younger stays were a general word for corsets so she may have made them for private clients. I know they said she became housekeeper for her father but I don't think there was any evidence presented for this. I did briefly wonder about incest but we don't really know what happened to her before 1841.

I did enjoy the programe as well.
Old 19-09-14, 03:31

I have just read back through this - my ancestral Houghtons were from Bedfordshire/Northamptonshire and I don't know how it was pronounced, but I have seen it written as HOO-TON in Australian records.

OH's ancestral Berrys came form the Suffolk/Norfolk border area, but I would have to see if there's any chance of a link.
Old 19-09-14, 04:26
geniebug

I was originally from Perth - and Houghton's wines was pronounced HORTON'S

oOOPS Kate, just saw your msg No 24 - I think everything is ok now - it is still sending them to junk file, but that should surely stop soon.