Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 30-11-18, 11:47

Default The man who fathered 200 children

This is a fascinating story:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...d-200-children
Old 30-11-18, 13:01

I read about this a few days ago and found it deeply depressing. A testament to human selfishness and greed and an utter lack of concern for the children thus produced.

OC
Old 30-11-18, 21:14

It is pretty horrifying how the clinics seem to have operated, but I thought it was interesting that the man is in touch with so many of his children, and seems to have struck up a relationship with some of them.
Old 30-11-18, 21:32

I thought that was weird, frankly. The fact that he is on the autistic spectrum would make that easy emotionally for him. I just felt so appalled and sad that his "children" felt the need to have a relationship with him.

Of course, there are many more like him, who do not even have the excuse of being autistic.

OC
Old 07-12-18, 05:45

There was, maybe still is, a tv drama downunder where an IVF doctor impregnates lots of women. I wonder if Louis gave the creator the idea for the show?

The sheer volume of children is certainly an issue, the idea of accidental incest is horrifying. In the show the Dr's daughter by his wife had just had a one night stand just prior to her father's confession. When all the potential siblings turned up for dna testing, he was one of the people and both parties were horrified at what they had done.

In general I see no problem with sperm donation, or eggs for that matter, but to do it deliberately, in order to get children at some later date seems creepy. It would also be very strange to know you have so many siblings out there.
Old 07-12-18, 10:10

Kit

Yes, there has been at least one doctor who has used his own sperm donations in his own clinic or practice. And possibly more who just haven't been exposed.

OC