Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-11-18, 23:18

Thanks again for your comprehensive answer to my original question.

I have not found any other references to the lawsuit, but Sir John Wedderburn was a trustee of the settlement by which Clementina Clerke inherited her uncle's estate in Jamaica, and there were several other earlier lawsuits related to that.
The list of other defendants has some possibly interesting names, but I think this is a rabbit hole that I don't need to dive into just now.
Old 20-11-18, 03:18

Afterthought and one more question:

The afterthought is about the industry that developed as doctors built huge 'for profit' establishments to house so called lunatics. Your research shows that she stayed in 3 of them. What kind of disorder did she suffer from? It is hard to tell. There are research papers about how that system worked, but nothing that I have found yet about the plight of women who were psychologically distressed.

One more question: Sarah's niece was Mary Charlotte Marshall, who married David Simpson Morice,. She was admitted to the Ticehurst House Lunatic Asylum on 23 April 1868, where she stayed until she died in 1906. In her case it could well have been depression induced by childbirth. She was absent in the family census of 1861, which named her husband and two young children: Henry Edward (1853 - 1926) and Gertrude Frances (born in 1855, died in 1893 unmarried). That was soon after two of her other children died in infancy (John in 1857 and Alfred in 1858).

She then had 3 more children, born in 1862, 1864 and 1867, before being consigned in 1868 to Ticehurst for the rest of her life.

Is there a way to figure out where she was for the 1861 census?
Old 20-11-18, 07:34
Administrator

Quote:
Is there a way to figure out where she was for the 1861 census?

You forgot to mention when and where she was born. I spent far too long looking for a Mary, but eventually discovered the marriage index entry says her first name was Frances!!

I see from the death record she was born about 1828/9. Unfortunately, I can't find her in 1851 for her birthplace.

I saw the names Clark Ogilvie on a baptism at Newport Pagnell Bucks in 1830, so presume that is her. She was 18 at the 1848 marriage.

Found them in 1851 now, to confirm her birthplace (under Monie on Ancestry)

Here she is in 1861 on FMP. I would probably never have found her on Ancestry because I wouldn't have looked in the separate Scottish census!:

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

First name(s) F C
Last name M Or M
Relationship Patient
Marital status Married
Sex Female
Age 32
Birth year 1829
Occupation Wife Of Solicitor
Birth town -
Birth town as transcribed -
Birth county -
Birth county as transcribed -
Birth place (other) England
Birth place other as transcribed ENGLAND

The Ancestry version of the same entry also has:

Enumeration District: Royal Lunatic Asylum

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-11-18, 07:57
Administrator

Now known as the Royal Cornhill Hospital

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Cornhill_Hospital

There are some old photos here:

https://holeousia.com/time-passes-li...hill-hospital/

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-11-18, 15:40

Tim, I too had an agonizing perplexity over my mother's dearly loved Auntie Louie who finally turned up sadly and inexplicably in the Menston asylum. My wonderful GF friends helped me peel back the layers until finally it was revealed in post #18 here that her vulnerability had been epilepsy.

Have I found Auntie Louie?

There are of course many other and varied reasons why someone might have encountered such a fate. I wish you luck and hope that you may find better answers to your mystery.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 20-11-18, 16:49

My apologies for getting her first name wrong. Not sure how that happened. But thank you so much for digging deep!

I suppose that if one was a solicitor working in London, it obviously made sense to put one's wife in an asylum in Aberdeen!

She was not there for long (since she gave birth to a daughter, Lucy Elizabeth, in London a year later.
Old 21-11-18, 07:47
Administrator

Aberdeen definitely seems an unexpected choice. Presumably to try and keep things as private as possible? I would imagine the expectation was that she would recover from her condition at that time.

My great-grandmother was in an asylum for about 20 years. Her son had her admitted soon after my great-grandfather died. I have seen the medical report made on her admittance which says, ""Bruise to left eye - cause unknown". So, not exactly detailed. By the time she died she was suffering from dementia, but I have no real idea why she was there in the first place. At some point she was 'certified' but there is no date alongside that information. At the start she was a private patient and later "partially rate aided".