Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 08-11-18, 18:50

Default Truro - Bridge of Remembrance

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/co...-15000-2187618

A fantastic sight!
Old 08-11-18, 18:52

"Truro - footbridge leading from Old Bridge Street car park to St Mary's Mews. The lady who owns the Truro Wool Shop decided it would be a good idea to decorate the bridge with panels of poppies to commemorate Armistice Day. Obviously she needed several, so appealed for help via social media. The response was astounding - there are about 15,200 hand-knitted or -crocheted poppies in the display, some of which have come from the other side of the world!"
Old 08-11-18, 20:50

I am hoping to get to see this in person. The weather has been beyond dire for the last three days, even worse tomorrow, I'm out all day Saturday, so it will be Sunday,all being well.

OC
Old 08-11-18, 20:59

OC, I didn't realise the weather was so bad down in Cornwall. The south-west does bear the brunt of the autumn storms. I hope you manage to see the bridge on Sunday. Please let us know what you think.
Old 09-11-18, 06:13
Administrator

That's amazing.

If OC manages to see the poppies I would like to know if they really are all exactly the same shade of red (I did see the purple ones!), or did someone tweek the photos?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-11-18, 08:20

The weather is not as bad as threatened today, so I may toddle off to Truro later.

For the last few years I have bought a knitted poppy from the BL shop but this year they didn't have any and we discussed (at length!) how sad and strange that was. No mention was made of the Truro effort and the first I heard of it was this week on the local news.

I think it looks lovely but now my anxious mind is wondering what will happen to the poppies and how much money could have been raised if they had sold them!

I will report back.

OC
Old 09-11-18, 08:47

The word is that the purple poppies commemorate the animals (mainly horses) which lost their lives in the conflict.
Old 09-11-18, 20:20

I didn't go to Truro after all, the weather took a sudden nosedive, but I have just seen some photos on a local page and yes, the poppies are various different shades of red, but actually all the more attractive for that.

OC
Old 09-11-18, 20:31
Administrator

I agree, far more attractive if they are not all the same.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-11-18, 14:21

Finally made it today and just happened to get there as they performed a small thanksgiving ceremony. ( The bridge is just outside the British Legion).

The poppy display looked so beautiful and even though it has rained hard all week, being wet makes no difference to knitted poppies I now know. Glad I went.

OC