Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 12-02-17, 18:59
Administrator

I take it that Charles is Charles Henry Parkin whose birth was registered Jan-Mar 1841? Although if so, he doesn't have a middle name on the marriage index. The online GRO birth index has no mother's maiden name (MMN) for him, meaning that he was illegitimate.

I thought that Edwin's birth registration would be Edwin Hall Jul-Sep 1840 Leeds, but that one has MMN Gaunt. Have you found Edwin's birth registration, or was he maybe not registered? Does his marriage cert say that John Parkin was his father? (Of course marriage certs aren't always accurate.) Have you found a baptism for him?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-02-17, 07:56
Administrator

Quote:
I take it that Charles is Charles Henry Parkin whose birth was registered Jan-Mar 1841? Although if so, he doesn't have a middle name on the marriage index. The online GRO birth index has no mother's maiden name (MMN) for him, meaning that he was illegitimate.
So it's more likely the mother of Charles Henry Parkin is a daughter of the Parkin grandparents and not Elizabeth Hall?

Also, do we actually know that Elizabeth Hall was the mother of Edwin either? No relationships in 1841 and in 1851 he and Charles are listed as grandsons of John Parkin's mother, Mary Parkin, so, in theory, they could have been the sons of a dau or daughters of Mary Parkin (as Charles probably is), or the children of another of her sons (or two). They definitely don't have to be brothers. I couldn't see Edwin in 1861 to confirm or otherwise that John was his father/step-father.

EDIT: I've still not found Edwin in 1861, but Charles is with John Parkin (now re-married) and is listed as nephew, so it's looking like Charles was the child of an unmarried sister of John.

Charles and John in 1861:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...&usePUBJs=true

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-02-17, 08:00
Administrator

Which Edwin is yours in later censuses and who did he marry? Which of his children is your 2xg-grandparent?

Do you have Edwin's marriage cert and what information is given on it about his father?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-02-17, 08:44
Administrator

Is this your Edwin aged 22 marrying in Leeds in 1861 to Mary Ellen Cooper born Guiseley?

Son of James Parkin a footman and witness Charles Parkin?

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/22...nSearchResults

I saw Mary Ellen on the 1871 census with son James aged 5, but no sign of Edwin and wondered if this was your family and him not being in the house was the reason you were finding Edwin difficult? I didn't look any more in case I was on the wrong track!

Old 13-02-17, 08:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
So it's more likely the mother of Charles Henry Parkin is a daughter of the Parkin grandparents and not Elizabeth Hall?

Also, do we actually know that Elizabeth Hall was the mother of Edwin either? No relationships in 1841 and in 1851 he and Charles are listed as grandsons of John Parkin's mother, Mary Parkin, so, in theory, they could have been the sons of a dau or daughters of Mary Parkin (as Charles probably is), or the children of another of her sons (or two). They definitely don't have to be brothers. I couldn't see Edwin in 1861 to confirm or otherwise that John was his father/step-father.

EDIT: I've still not found Edwin in 1861, but Charles is with John Parkin (now re-married) and is listed as nephew, so it's looking like Charles was the child of an unmarried sister of John.

Charles and John in 1861:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...&usePUBJs=true
Edwin is with a Hall couple in 1861, although it says boarder, so we don't know how he was related to them.
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...cklabel=Return
Well, I assume it's him although it says Edward.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-02-17, 09:39

Hello, yes my Edwin is the chap whom married Mary Ellen Cooper on 7/9/1861 he lists hos father as James Parkin Footman, which actually (blushes as i have not put this together before now) suggests that whom i thought was the grandfather was his father & his father was his uncle??
John Parkin had 2 sisters Rebecca Parkin b1815 & Elizabeth b1818
Though i think even that is incorrect as on the 1841 census his "mother" Mary was 50, probaly to old to be his mother making it more likely that he is one of her daughters children. They are transcribed as Turkin on ancestry. Charles is here to, i have not found birth or baptism records for either.
James Turkin
Estimated birth year: abt 1781
Where born: Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Leeds Town
Hundred: Leeds Borough
County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: Leeds
Sub-registration district: Leeds West
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 1348
Book: 4
Folio: 33
Page Number: 20
Household Members:
Name Age
James Turkin 60
Mary Turkin 50
Elizabeth Turkin 25
John Turkin 20
Elizabeth Turkin 15
Charles Rose 3
Edwin Turkin 1
Charles Turkin 4 Mo
Old 13-02-17, 09:42

Quote:
Which Edwin is yours in later censuses and who did he marry? Which of his children is your 2xg-grandparent?
James Lucas Parkin is my 2 x ggp & Edwin married Mary Ellen Cooper.

Do you have Edwin's marriage cert and what information is given on it about his father?
it is here, lists James as the father.
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/22...78/edit/record
Old 13-02-17, 09:43
Administrator

Kate

Just dashing out, bt Rebecca Parkin m Tho Hall 184-something and there was a Rebecca Parkin bap dau of James and Mary Parkin in the 18-teens to 1820 something (remembering from earlier plus that census you just posted.....

Old 13-02-17, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Edwin is with a Hall couple in 1861, although it says boarder, so we don't know how he was related to them.
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...cklabel=Return
Well, I assume it's him although it says Edward.
I have found him listed as Edward before. I thought the Hall might be Elizabeth's father but going by the wedding certificate it does not seem likely. I would have to check out the family connection.
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/22...95/edit/record
Old 13-02-17, 09:50

Quote:
Kate

Just dashing out, bt Rebecca Parkin m Tho Hall 184-something and there was a Rebecca Parkin bap dau of James and Mary Parkin in the 18-teens to 1820 something (remembering from earlier plus that census you just posted.....
Oh my gosh yes!!!! I just posted thinking it wasn't connected but i was thinking of Elizabeth's father, not it being related to Rebecca!