Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 02-07-10, 07:41

Default Charles Henry Jones (FMF)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as: Charles Henry Jones

Date and place of birth: 2nd December 1891, 10 Court, Neepsend Lane, Sheffield.

Names of parents: William Jones & Mary Buxton

Date and place of baptism: Not Yet Found.

Details of each of his or her marriages: 17th December 1917 to Harriet Eastwood at St John the Baptist, Owlerton, Sheffield. Witnesses: James Dolphin & Mary Jones. Charles did not name anyone in the father column but his father is William Jones who died in 1895. Charles also claimed he was 22 years old at time of marriage giving him a birth year of 1895/96...caused me years of problems!

Occupation(s): Labourer at steel works/Steel Grinder/Steel Examiner. Bizarrely, Charles himself gave his occupation as a Journeyman Boot Repairer on the death certificate of his son Charles Arthur in 1924. This is the only time I have seen him described as anything other than a Steel worker.

Military service: None Found, unsure if was in the military.

Addresses where they lived - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on:
1901: 97 Sheldon Street, Ecclesall Bierlow. With Mother and a 'stepfather' who wasnt actually his stepfather.
1911: No idea, cant find him on the 1911 census at all
1917-19: 172 Cuthbert Bank Road, Sheffield.
1920: 24 Jenkinson Street
1921-23: 14 Bilston Street
1924: 24 Jenkinson Street
1925: 25 Jenkinson Street
1941: 59 Clemetis Road, Sheffield

Date, place and cause of death: 16th March 1941 at 59 Clemetis Road. Death caused by Coronary Ackeroma and Occlusion Angina Poctoris? certified after post mortem without inquest. Aged 46. Age tallies with age given at marriage but again, is wrong!

Date and place of burial / cremation: 22nd March 1941 at Shiregreen Cemetery, Sheffield. Buried in Grave 881, Section A, General Portion. Buried with wife Harriet and daughter's Marion & Irene. His daughter Kathleen's ashes were scattered over the grave and a memorial to her is also at the grave.

Details of will / administration of their estate: Did not leave a will.

Memorial inscription:

Last edited by BlueSavannah; 17-01-16 at 12:45. Reason: Burial info and photo added, along with some addresses and occupations
Old 02-07-10, 08:32
Administrator

If his occupation on his marriage certificate is Steel Examiner then it sounds likely he didn't serve in WW1; maybe his job was exempt?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-07-10, 08:38

Hi Kite. Just double checked marriage cert and he is a Steel Grinder in 1917. I am not sure if either would be exempt from military service.

My only thought on why I cannot find him in 1911 is because he was away in the army somewhere...but then again, this man has caused me years of headaches so he is most likely in Sheffield hiding somewhere
Old 04-11-14, 07:59

Still searching for Charles Henry Jones from the 1901 census to his marriage in 1917. Still don't think he will ever be found during these years but ever hopeful.

He's always a steel worker of some sort but one death certificate for one of his children in 1924 states by Charles himself that he was a journeyman boot repairer which is very confusing because a few months either side of this record, he's a steel grinder.

This guy is a bit of a fantasist so can't help but wonder if he's hiding something in the missing years

Tags
togg16