Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 02-05-20, 06:22

Default Family Ghost

I'm looking at newspapers.com thanks to Kate and trying to find the death of OHs 8g aunt. She can't have died when I thought she did as she in mentioned in the will of her grandfather that was written and dated 2 years after I thought she died.

I have not found her death but I have found a story of her daughter in law, Margret Gould's ghost and I'm quite confident I know why she is haunting people. They are stupid and don't know their family history at all.

First they don't even know her first name, then state she is the wife of William, son of Henry and Elizabeth, which is wrong. William wasn't the son of Henry but William and Elizabeth was not an only child but one of several of a prominent and wealthy family. This is probably why the marriage took place and definitely why William Jr's middle name was the surname of his mother.

She seems to be a rather harmless ghost, unless you were committing a crime ie stealing from the family orchard or desecrating her grave, crimes I don't think I would have confessed to others.

The author of the article does not believe the ghost is Madam Gould as they call her but an older Saxon ghost and her identity has been forgotten and later credited to Mrs Gould.

Either way I'm a little jealous that OH has rich family AND a ghost, especially as he isn't very interested.
Old 02-05-20, 12:17
Administrator

I found what I was looking for on Newspapers.com right away. Charles Henry Ault jr, the husband of my grandfather's half-sister, is said in biographies of his brother, the painter George Copeland Ault (and on George's Wikipedia page), to have committed suicide, but I had never found a newspaper report of this to confirm it. At last I have found some reports of his death - he had a heart attack while driving his car, and his sister was a passenger in the car at the time. She survived to tell the tale.

Don't know whether Charles is haunting anybody to tell them to stop lying about him!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-05-20, 15:05

Well I'm glad you found what you were looking for and better for the people involved that the rumours were wrong.

Elizabeth has to have died and I will find her one day and her sister's husband will make an appearance as well but it wont be today.