Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-10-18, 21:56

Sometimes a child will name a father by a correct first name on a marriage certificate.

I initially rejected a death certificate as incorrect as Sarah Moore's late husband was given as William, when she had been married to James. I didn't realise then that she had subsequently lived with the widower of her sister as his common law wife until he died.
Old 28-10-18, 09:34

I should think a lot depended on the vicar. I have a baptism for a child with no father's name, though his mother was married and the child was given the husband's surname. The vicar added a disapproving note to say that the mother had only married the previous week.
Old 29-10-18, 02:01

My Dad's cousin married a man with the same surname as her own.

No relation to each other as far as they know.
Old 31-10-18, 19:49

Post 1 above poses the question of whether both parents had to attend a baptism. I had never thought of that but when I was searching for a baptism recently came across one for the relevant child in 1906 at a small Suffolk church near Bury St Edmunds. At first sight all seemed normal with both parents correctly named and father's profession shown as Engineer's Clerk but their abode was shown as Birmingham and the day of the baptism was a Wednesday, which caused doubt to arise that neither of them had been present. When I realised that the child's birth was recorded incorrectly, three days adrift, with no known affiliation with Suffolk by the parents I was sceptical. When I noticed the first baptism on the page was of a boy born to a single woman whose abode was recorded as Bishops Stortford that also seemed odd but a small bracketed comment made below the boy's details revealed him to be 'an orphan born at Bishops Stortford Workhouse', which was at least proof absolute that his mother could not have been present.

merleyone

Last edited by merleyone; 31-10-18 at 20:06. Reason: finger trouble caused an apparent posting too soon .
Old 01-11-18, 07:58

This has raised a question in my mind about my mother ????
I was 16 when my youngest brother was baptised - and my mum stayed in the house to do all the food for the party afterwards - so she never attended her sons Baptism , - which makes me wonder if she attended any of her 5 sons Baptisms ???..( no daughters - just 5 boys )now I have issues in my head ?...is this very unusual ?????
Old 05-11-18, 02:58

I've seen a baptism where the woman was actually married at the time but was baptised in her maiden name. Parents names were correct although I can't remember if the abode was. I have no idea if the parents were present, or even alive as I can't remember who it was now.
Old 05-11-18, 07:21
Administrator

I presume the Book of Common Prayer 1662 would have been used for the C of E baptism service in England/Wales for a long time. Here's a link to the baptism service:

http://justus.anglican.org/resources...pt/baptism.htm

The parents barely get a mention, whilst it's all about the godparents (always surprised the C of E doesn't seem to care who they were after the event!). It does say "the parents" will tell the curate they have a child to baptise the day before or on the Sunday before the morning service (can't see that being acceptable now - much booking long in advance!). After that the parents presumably come under the collective, "the people (with the children)".

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-11-18, 08:15

Merry, thanks for the link. I found it very interesting, and also the part about private baptism and being received into the church.