Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 26-10-18, 17:22
Administrator

Default Scottish Birth Indexes

I keep reading that mmn is included in index information for Scottish births from 1929, but I can't find anything that tells me where this information can be sourced.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 26-10-18, 17:48
Administrator

Where do you keep reading that, Merry?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-10-18, 17:54
Administrator

Anyway, if you search the Catalogue on FamilySearch for Scotland, and choose Civil Registration, then click on Registers of births, marriages and deaths... it seems that they have digitised the indexes, including birth indexes up to 1956. I assume those would be the version with MMN on post-1929, but of course you can only view them at FamilySearch Centres. I knew they had Scottish indexes on microfiche or microfilm but I didn't know they had digitised them. I wish FreeBMD could transcribe those copies.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-10-18, 18:08
Administrator

From the National Records of Scotland website (and other sites presumably referring back to it):

Quote:
Statutory Indexes of Births, Deaths and Marriages

The statutory indexes from 1855 to the present day have been computerised since 1989. Today they include links to digital images of the register entries.
The index entry includes name, registration district, registration district number and entry number.

- the birth index includes mother’s maiden name from 1929 (we are adding this data to earlier entries)
I will have to find out what's happening with my 'local' FamilySearch Centre as last time I looked it was having a very long 'temporary' closure!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 26-10-18, 22:04

Yes, it is a bit odd I agree, Merry, but can only assume that NRS and Scotland's People don't talk to each other.

OC
Old 26-10-18, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Yes, it is a bit odd I agree, Merry, but can only assume that NRS and Scotland's People don't talk to each other.

OC
Strange, as the latter is contracted by the former to be the public online link. Yet another branch of the DC Thomson empire.