Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-12-13, 21:33
Administrator

Post up an image of Elizabeth's surname for us to have a go at, Libby.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 27-12-13, 21:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
He gives money to his grandson, Edward Addison of London, on his reaching the age of 21, so he must have been under that.
One of the wills in my collection has something similar and I know that the "child" was already 21 when that will was written, so I guess that the testator wasn't sure of his (the child's) age. Anyway, just saying you can't always take it as definite.

But, anyway, there is an Edward Addison baptism 5 Aug 1733 at St James, Clerkenwell, dob 14 Jul 1733, parents Edward and Mary. But he looks to have brothers Joseph and Richard, though there is a Mary Addirson who could be a sister, baptised 10 Nov 1734 at Christ Church Greyfriars, Newgate.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 28-12-13, 16:39
Administrator

Did Hugh Addison leave anything to Agnes Kirkby, or only to her children?

Let's have a look at this surname for Elizabeth, Hugh's sister, because I've wasted hours and hours today trying to match up baptisms for Edward, Sara, Ann, Agnes and Mary without any luck so I need to do something else before I go crazy!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-12-13, 19:42

You mean I have to forage around in my still packed moving boxes for the "actual" paper will? lol. As soon as whichever family member is currently sleeping in that room (don't ask) rises, I will have a search.

Merry....I do think it was you who tried before to work out that name.

I can put up the typed version of the will......it's not too long. I'll do that and if it works, it might give you something.
Old 28-12-13, 19:45

In the name of God, Amen.

The twenty ninth day of November in this year of our Lord God One Thousand Seven Hundred and Forty Two, I Hugh Addison of Hannakin, near Hawkshead in the County Palatine of Lancaster, yeoman, being somewhat inifm of body but of sound and perfect mind and memory praised to God make and ordain this my last will and testament in the manner and form following.

First and foremost I commend my soul to Almighty God steadfastly believing through His meritorious passion of Jesus Christ my advocate and redeemer to have pardon for all my sins. And my body I commit to the earth to be properly interred at the discretion of my executrix here so after named. And for my temporal estate I dispose of the same as follows. That is to say.

I give unto Jane my dear and loving wife the yearly sum or annuity of eight pounds of full money of groats, pertain yearly and every year living this term of her natural life. Also I give unto Edward Addison of London, my grandson the whole sum of fifteen pounds of full money of groats pertain when he shall attain the age of twenty one years. But in so far as the said Edward Addison departs his natural life before he attains to the age of twenty one years, then it is my will and mind that the said sum of fifteen pounds be equally divided amongst his sisters that shall attain the age of twenty one years.

Also I give unto Sara Addison, Ann Addison, Agnes Addison and Mary Addison, my grand daughters ten pounds apiece as they shall attain their several ages of twenty one years. And if it happens that any of my said grand daughters shall depart their natural life before they attain the age of twenty one years then it is my will and mind that their legacy shall be equally divided among the surviving sisters that shall attain the age of twenty one years.

Also I give unto Jane Kirkby and to David Kirkby, my grandchildren ten pounds apiece as they shall attain the age of twenty one years. Also I give unto Elizabeth ****** my sister twenty shillings in money at the end of one whole year next after my decease.
But if it so happens the said Elizabeth ******* departs this natural life before the end of one whole year after my decease then I give the said twenty shillings unto Agnes and her daughter.

And all the rest of my goods and credits and chattels I give unto Agnes Kirkby, my daughter. And I make the said Agnes Kirkby, my daughter, sole executrix, she paying all my just debts*******yearly annuity to my wife and funeral expenses. And I so hereby revoke and make void all my former and other wills made by me hereto before made and likewise declare this only to be my last will and testament. In testimony whososof I the said Hugh Addison have set my hand and seal the day and year first above written.

Signed, sealed published and declared by the said Hugh Addison to be his last will and testament in the sight and presence of
Adam Taylor
John Mosson???
John Sawrey
Old 28-12-13, 20:56
Administrator

Quote:
But if it so happens the said Elizabeth ******* departs this natural life before the end of one whole year after my decease then I give the said twenty shillings unto Agnes and her daughter.
That seems odd wording.......are we sure it says 'Agnes and her daughter' and not 'Agnes her daughter'?

Quote:
Merry....I do think it was you who tried before to work out that name.
I'm pretty sure I've not seen that will before

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-12-13, 20:58
Administrator

Re Elizabeth's surname: Can you not get another copy of the will from the site you paid to download it from?

Old 28-12-13, 21:12

Don't worry Merry, I will find the original today. I got it from Lancs, not downloaded.
Old 28-12-13, 21:31
Administrator

*worries about Libby's sleeping relations*

Old 29-12-13, 00:30

You should be. My house is full of family from all over. Between jet lag and hangovers, they are all over the place. And.....it is currently nudging 40C with about 80 percent humidity and I do not do heat....lol
Room with the box of wills is empty now so just looking.