Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-02-14, 12:59
Administrator

Default Bristows in Wiltshire

I've been trying for years to find the marriage of my 5xg-grandparents, Robert Bristow and Elizabeth. Robert was born about 1733 going by his age at death (buried 29 Sep 1816 at Bletchingley, Surrey, age 83), and I have a likely baptism for him in Buckland, Surrey, but never found anything to prove whether or not it is the right family (and they are not the main Bristow family in Buckland that come up on searches.) Elizabeth was buried 3 May 1807 St John Horsleydown age 67, so she was born around 1739-40. The first of Robert and Elizabeth's children that I have found is Robert baptised 24 Feb 1765 at Horsleydown, Surrey / London. Robert sr's occupation is oilman, weaver, soldier, on various of the children's baptisms. He later ran an oil cooper business with his sons.

There are a couple of marriages on FamilySearch that I have ruled out:
Robert Bristow / Elizabeth Stannard 27 Oct 1754 at St Stephen's, Norwich - they are widower and widow so would be too old to be my couple.
Robert Bristow / Elizabeth Hunt 2 Nov 1757 at St Clements, Cambridge - they have a daughter baptised in Cambridge 21 May 1765, so after my couple were living in Horselydown.

But - I have just come across this marriage in the Wiltshire marriage transcriptions on ancestry:
Robert Bristow married Elizabeth Durnford 1 May 1763 at Pewsey, by banns.
I can't find any baptisms for children of this couple in or near Pewsey by searching on various sites, but not sure if this is just because not all Wiltshire records are online? I don't know much about Wiltshire research - can anyone find anything to rule this couple out (or in) as mine, please?

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 14-02-14, 14:25

There is a Will for a Robert Bristow, of Cricklade dated 1769 on the Wiltshire Wills index

http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/heri...lls_search.php

However he seems to have baptised several children in Cricklade but not as far as I can see, a Robert which seems odd.

Can't see anything else yet...

Sorry the link doesn't seem to work You still need to search for Robert but he was the only one!

Last edited by Sue from Southend; 14-02-14 at 14:35.
Old 14-02-14, 14:56
Administrator

Thanks, Sue, but I already looked through the PCC Bristow wills for Wiltshire and none of them seem to be connected with that Pewsey couple.

Old 14-02-14, 17:12

Don't want to push a point but the Will on the Wiltshire index doesn't appear on the PCC Indexes on either Ancestry or TNA?
Old 14-02-14, 17:52
Administrator

Oh sorry, Sue, I was getting him muddled with the Bristows in the PCC wills. Some of those were Cricklade too. I'll have a look...

Old 14-02-14, 18:01
Administrator

Yes, the PCC will I was thinking of is Robert Bristow the elder of Chelworth in the parish of Cricklade, 1728, sons John, Robert and William and Edward (deceased), so his son Robert could be the one who died 1769. But it looks as though Robert jr was born in 1683 so maybe not...
Cricklade isn't very near to Pewsey on the map and there are some other Bristows marrying at Pewsey around the same time as Robert:
Ann Bristow married Roger Dear 15 Oct 1758
Thorpe Bristow married Sarah Sealy 9 Nov 1759
John Bristow married Frances Harris 22 Apr 1765.

Also there is a Robert Bristow of Wilcot marrying a Jane Nutley at Pewsey 30 Nov 1732. Perhaps the parents of the Robert who married in 1763?

The Wiltshire Wills Index does have the will of a John Bristow, yeoman, of Pewsey, but it is 1727.

Old 14-02-14, 18:03
Administrator

FMP has the burial of the Robert of Cricklade who died in 1769 and he was aged 79, so unlikely to be the one who married in 1763 in Pewsey by banns.