Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 15-11-22, 14:42

Default Covent Garden TV programme

Did anyone else watch the David Olusoga programme about the history of the Covent Garden Piazza that was broadcast on Sunday? It was more or less the same format as his A House Through Time series. If, like me, you have ancestors who lived and worked in the area it gave a fascinating insight into life there through the centuries. My 4xgt grandparents lived in a courtyard just behind the Royal Opera House in the 1830s and 40s, before moving to Drury Lane. In 1851 the son of the house was described as a theatrical agent so I wonder if he had some connection with the Drury Lane Theatre Royal or even the opera house. One of the daughters married into a family of Covent Garden Market fruit merchants so I have a strong connection to the area. Even without that connection I thought it was a very interesting programme.
Old 15-11-22, 14:52

Yes, I watched it, Ann, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don't have any family connections but a personal one. My first job was in the Strand in 1972 for a firm of patent agents. We had luncheon vouchers and we often used to go up to Covent Garden for a cheap lunch. The market was still in operation (until 1974, I believe) and the cafés did a roaring trade in the early hours until the market tradesmen headed home before lunch. Then the cafés attracted the office workers and many of them served 3-course set meals at very reasonable prices. The Covent Garden I knew then was very much the hub of the market with all the associated sights, sounds and smells.

Fast forward several decades, and Covent Garden has always been a place where we love to visit with our family. We saw the Nutcracker at the Royal Opera House one Christmas and have done lots of shopping and had lots of meals there. We often used to meet our elder daughter, son-in-law and grandson there.

The developments over the years have been fascinating and I remember the opposition to the GLC's plans.
Old 15-11-22, 15:29

The only time I have been to Covent Garden was when my daughter was living in London and I was visiting. She took me there for lunch one day and it has always stuck in my memory. I thought it was such a wonderful, vibrant place. At that time we didn't know we had family connections with the area.
Old 16-11-22, 10:04

I met an American friend in Covent Garden last autumn/fall. She loved it!