Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-12-19, 11:06

Merry is probably right: it seems unusual that a man admits to being considerably younger than his wife if he is actually older than she is.
Old 27-12-19, 11:37

Right, thanks Phoenix. Maybe I should ask an admin to change my thread title to read Henry Naylor/Nayler/Nailor b Yorkshire ca 1809-1819.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 27-12-19, 12:15

I will go so far as to say that there is one Henry Naylor who, I believe, is not my man.

There is an Ancestry tree by one of the family known to us. If you search Public Member Trees for William Michael Naylor with death in 2006 it should come right up. Looking at Henry Naylor on there, they have chosen an 1819 baptism and parents for him.
West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1910 for Henry Naylor
Thornhill, St Michael and All Angels 1819
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...-01009/9047522

The same is listed under England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975:
Name Henry Naylor
Gender Male
Baptism Date 10 Jan 1819
Baptism Place Thornhill, York, England
Father Robert Naylor
Mother Mary Naylor
FHL Film Number 1542081 Reference IDp 114, #908

But this man never leaves home. He is present on all the England censuses through 1881, as a joiner/house carpenter which was also his father's occupation, and then dies in 1885.
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=9841

Name: Henry Naylor
Birth Date: 1819
Death Place: Mirfield, Yorkshire, England
Burial Date: 2 Oct 1885
Burial Place: Mirfield, York, England
Father: Robert Naylor
FHL Film Number: 1542072
Reference ID: D1-27, P211, #1686

I think we can safely disregard this one.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 27-12-19, 13:32
Administrator

Any Hen* or H*r*y or Hy Na?l?r born in Yorkshire at the right time, but still in the UK in 1851 can't be yours, so you need to work through seeing what baptism records you can eliminate, probably via birth registrations of their children to pick up the mmn and then the correct marriage, with (hopefully!) father's name recorded.

If your man was really born in 1819 or thereabouts and therefore it will be other men born around that date that you need to eliminate, they are pretty unlikely to have married before 1837, so that's a plus!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 27-12-19, 17:32

Thanks for that little ray of sunshine, Merry.

I can see where my weekend is heading.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 30-12-19, 01:05

Aha. In the online Internet Archive I have found a book History, Town of Isle La Motte, Vermont : An Account of the Discovery, Settlement, and Interesting and Remarkable Events in which it is stated that "Henry Naylor (1820-1898) came from England when he was five years old."

The book was published by A.L. Stratton, North Hero, VT, in 1984. Online access is restricted but I currently have it borrowed from Internet Archive for another 13 days.

I have been working through as comprehensive a list of Henry Naylor/Naylers b 1804-1824 in Yorkshire as I could come up with, using FamSearch, Ancestry and FMP. Of course I started from the 1804 end, didn't I. Merry, I may need you to patiently explain once more the part about "birth registrations of their children to pick up the mmn and then the correct marriage, with (hopefully!) father's name recorded". Oh, never mind, I get it. Or do I? This will tell me what children to look for on the census? And what else?

Janet (Niagara)
Old 30-12-19, 09:00
Administrator

Re eliminating baptisms….

Look for men named Henry Naylor and variants, of the right age, born in Yorkshire on the UK 1851 census. You need to establish the correct baptism for each of these men so you have a shorter list of baptisms that could belong to your man.

So, if the 1851 men are married with children the steps would be... Look up the birth registrations for the children on the GRO site or FMP to pick up the mmn for those children. Try and locate the marriage of the parents using this information. If you can find an image for the marriage then you should have the father's details for the groom. The combined info of father's details plus birthplace from the 1851 census might enable you to tick off one entry from your list of possible baptisms. If any of the men are born in small villages you may be able to spot the baptism without all these steps, but when I looked very briefly, most seemed to come from cities.

Of course in an ideal world you would start with, say, 10 baptisms and tick off nine, leaving one that must be yours, but that Arthur Conan Doyle thing about eliminating the impossible won't necessarily lead you straight to the right answer in this case, but it might be the quickest way of saving you from spending a long time looking at definite wrong entries!

Having said that () there is a tree on Ancestry that is a complete muddle but does have a Henry Naylor with the right death included. They seem to be saying this is his baptism (transcript from Ancestry):

Henry Naylor bap 13 Aug 1820 Rawmarsh ,York, England parents James, Elizth

Here's the tree. For some reason it doesn't have the right parents, though they have the baptism!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...88065205/facts

Normally I would probably completely ignore the above as the tree is such a muddle, however, I did look at it a bit yesterday, hoping to return triumphant, but as I couldn't find anything helpful I didn't post about it then. It has to be said that the information I couldn't find did make me wonder if that baptism is the right one! Of course I should have said all this whilst I had the info in front of me, but here's what I remember.....

There were only a small number of children baptised with parents James and Elizabeth Naylor in Rawmarsh. I found a death for James Naylor soon after these baptisms (maybe around 1824ish? I think he was born in about 1790 and they were married 1814/15 and her maiden name was Frost). Within a couple of years (1826?) of James' death there was a marriage for widow Elizabeth Naylor to widower John Clair in Rawmarsh. After that I couldn't find anything on these people. Now you say it is believed Henry was around the age of 5 when he left the UK, when I'd been thinking he left by himself as a young man. I had been quite surprised I couldn't find anything more about this man's mother or step-father in the UK, but now I'm wondering if they all went to Canada? I never got around to looking for Henry's siblings here - I wonder if they show up on your side of the Atlantic?

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself - when I look at that tree I get a headache!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-12-19, 10:46
Administrator

Having said all the above, there are many trees which have:

Elizabeth Frost
Birth 1799 Rotherham Yorkshire England
Death 04/1861
Spouse James Naylor (1793-1872)

and masses of children including the Rawmarsh ones.

but Elizabeth marrying aged about 15 is younger than most, so I wouldn't like to say these trees are def correct (though worth an investigation). They may have copied from each other. In 1841 they have no living children born after 1837 unfortunately. (to establish the mmn)

Old 30-12-19, 17:07

Wow, Merry, thank you!

Got a lot to work through there, which I will have to come back to later today.

Sorry about your headache. Having peeked at that tree I've got one now too.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 30-12-19, 18:37
Administrator