Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-11-19, 10:09

Hi ,yes I understand , it is difficult , but it's interesting , places like Ashton in makerfield near Wigan had mines surrounding the area ,and lots of miners moved around for work in the area , so seeing William living in Ashton wouldn't have been unusual .and is marriage in Warrington again not unusual . Because that is certainly him marrying cicely Walker . Who was from Upholland .these places are all in reach with one another . So I will try and find link as you have suggested . Thanks
Old 16-11-19, 05:51

HI I think the census mentioning Ashton is him as cicely is there . But like you said we don't know what Ashton it was Ashton under lyne is in Cheshire and Ashton is approx four miles from Wigan . and he has put county Lancashire . But whether he would have known county or not I wouldn't know . I have looked on st Thomas online in Ashton in makerfield which used to come under Winwick . There are plenty of Callands on them but I couldn't find a matching date for Williams birth I will see if I can check the Ashton under lyne . Just has a matter of course . Thanks
Old 16-11-19, 08:39
Administrator

I don't think Ashton-under-Lyne has ever been in Cheshire. It's currently part of Greater Manchester and was historically in Lancashire. Ashton upon Mersey, on the other hand, did used to be in Cheshire.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-11-19, 08:52

Hi ,Merry , your right , so it is in Lancashire . So really he still could have been born there . So I am no wiser lol I checked the Ashton under lyne records and a lot of the church records only start late 1800 s . But I'll do another search .
Old 16-11-19, 09:10
Administrator

I note that, for what it's worth, William and Cicely were living in Ashton in Makerfield in 1834.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-11-19, 09:13
Administrator

Quote:
I checked the Ashton under lyne records and a lot of the church records only start late 1800 s .
Which church were you looking at? St Michael's start in the 1650s!

Old 16-11-19, 09:13

Hi ,I'm having no luck finding Williams birth even on the online parish clerks . So am stuck for now .
Old 16-11-19, 09:16
Administrator

So have you eliminated the one in 1796?

Old 16-11-19, 09:26

I think , the date of births don't tally , the census says he was born in Ashton whichever Ashton , born around 1798 the other with mother Ann lea was born in Haigh which is at least five miles away . I don't have a clue your probably the best one to say which is correct or not . Then I can at least eliminate one . Thanks
Old 16-11-19, 09:35
Administrator

I think 1796 is around 1798! As I've said before, you need to trace the family of Wm and Ann forward to try and identify if there is a reason the 1796 baptism can't be your William. For instance if he died at a different time or married someone else etc.

Also look at the names of his siblings and see if any of those names are repeated in his family and/or the families of his siblings.