Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-12-16, 02:07

I'm wondering whether the Bickleigh connection could be proven or disproved by a visit to the local cemetery. Not that that's easy when you live in NZ, but I do expect to travel to the UK within a year or so. Billion Graves doesn't help.

Do people have experience in getting results from cemeteries when Parish records etc do not deliver? Or is it usually a bit of a wild goose chase?

This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
Old 02-12-16, 07:11
Administrator

Anything is possible David, but when you consider the majority of burials went unmarked and many gravestones have not survived or the inscriptions have not survived, it would definitely be a long shot.

Is it the Bickleigh near Tiverton? It would be advisable to investigate any Memorial Inscriptions records before you rush half way around the world!

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/BickleighT

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-12-16, 20:50

I didn't realise that most burials went unmarked - that certainly does put a different complexion on matters!

This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
Old 30-12-19, 22:04

Smile Mary Carew

David Byrne, I am also descended from Robert Carew Cottrell. I think Mary Carew was born at Bickleigh as a branch of the Carew family lived there for generations and in fact were associated with the village until the early C20th.
A recent record search suggests Mary was born/baptised in Bickleigh in 1752 and that her mothers name was Mary. If you look up Haccombe, Devon on Wikipedia you will see how the Carew family also gained manors in Cornwall, as well as Devon. I hope this helps! Tina P