Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 31-12-19, 15:29

On the 1851:

Here's the same guy that can't be mine. This eliminates Henry Naylor (or Thomas Henry--Thornhill St Michael and All Angels), bap 10 Jan 1819, parents Robert Naylor (Joiner) and Mary

b Thornhill residing Mirfield (Dewsbury RD)
Henry Naylor 31 House Carpenter & Beer House
Ellen Naylor 25 Keeper
Caroline Naylor 5 mmn France
Sarah A Naylor 4 mmn France
Hanah Naylor 2 mmn France
Mary Naylor 1 mmn France
Emma France 10

---------------------------------------

b Sheffield residing Sheffield
Henry Naylor 29 Taylor
Mary A Naylor 28
John Naylor 2 mmn Valentine

First name(s) Henry
Last name Naylor
Age 27
Birth year 1821
Residence West Bar Green
Marriage date 15 Jan 1848
Marriage place Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul
Spouse's first name(s) Mary Ann
Spouse's last name Valentine
Spouse's age 22
Spouse's residence West bar Green
Father's first name(s) William
Father's last name Naylor
Spouse's father's first name(s) John
Spouse's father's last name Valentine

I did not find the baptism for Henry b 1821.

b Sheffield residing Sheffield
Joseph Naylor 60 Farmer of 30 acres employs 1 lad b Cawthorne
Mary Naylor 58 b Northallerton
Henry T Naylor 29 Saw maker b Sheffield
Eliza Naylor 6 mmn Schorah
Henry T Naylor 2 mmn Dronfield
Harriet Addey 15

I also saw a Mary Ellen Naylor with mmn Schorah J qtr 1846 in Sheffield but have not tracked down where she went. But back to Henry:

Henry T might be Henry Thomas? Thomas Naylor marries Charlotte Dronfield.
First name(s) Thomas
Last name Naylor
Residence Sheffield
Marriage date 09 Aug 1832
Marriage place Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul
Spouse's first name(s) Charlotte
Spouse's last name Dronfield
Spouse's residence Sheffield

I don't quite get the unfolding of events. This marriage was in 1832.

And then I wasn't sure what baptism I'm looking for: Henry? Henry Thomas? Thomas?

b York residing Birmingham
Henry M Naylor 32 Dealer in Carpet Bags Etc. b York
Sarah Naylor 27 mmn Meeks
Mary Naylor 7 mmn Meeks
Elizth Naylor 4 mmn Meeks
Fredk Naylor 2 mmn Meeks
Martin Naylor 2 Mo mmn Meeks
Sarah Toms Wring 29
Jane Taylor 12

Also found a William George Naylor with mmn Meeks S qtr in Birmingham. Don't know what happened to him either. But I can Henry M Naylor marrying Sarah Meeks.

First name(s) Henry Moore
Last name Naylor
Marriage date 30 Nov 1841
Marriage place Birmingham
Spouse's first name(s) Sarah
Spouse's last name Meeks
County Warwickshire

The parish register was a bit of an eye full. Lol.
Henry Moore Naylor, full age, bachelor, Haberdasher, his father William Naylor, Wesleyan minister.
Sarah Meeks, under age, spinster, her father George Meeks, Hardware Dealer.
By license. Both sign. Witnesses Rev. Dixon Naylor, Samuel Liptrot Findley.
Same day, next marriage, John Liptrott Findley marries Frances Meeks (under age), her father also George Meeks and George is also a witness.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 31-12-19, 21:32

I keep finding stuff on the Internet Archive and getting distracted.

There is this one with a lot of detail on the Vaughan/Vaughn family as well as the Naylors. Give it a minute to come into focus. The text is on the right-hand page.
https://archive.org/details/hcbhawley_i/page/38

In case anyone curious enough to read this is not familiar with Internet Archive, you can search more inside this publication if desired by going to the search field with the magnifying-glass icon on the black bar. (Not the field at the very top right corner. That will take you to other books.)

There is also History, town of Isle La Motte, Vermont : an account of the discovery, settlement, and interesting and remarkable events by Stratton, Allen L, and I think you may be able to see this two-page spread on the Naylor family without actually "borrowing"* the book, which you have to do if you want to peruse the whole volume. (*In the case of this book. Many others are free for the reading.)
https://archive.org/details/historyt...0stra/page/374

This latter book's index includes these names under "Naylor":

Benjamin
Cornelius R.
David, Rev. (1813-1903)
Elizabeth (1876- )
Elizabeth (Vaughn)
Emily (Bourdeau) (1840-1906)
Ernest A.
Franklin (ca. 1868-died young)
George (ca. 1873-1908)
Geraldine, Mrs.
Harold A.
Harry (sic)
Hattie Emily (Jarvis)
Hawley
Henry (1820-1898)
Herbert
Julia (ca. 1878- )
Mary (Botsford)
Mary (ca. 1875- )
Milla/Millie (LaBombard) (1873-1948)
Rachel (Fitzgerald)
William J.
William Henry (1870-1944)

It seems as if most of these Naylors are from the generation(s) following Henry. I was hoping to see if some other Naylors accompanied him across the Atlantic, but have not identified any yet.

Note that Boudreau and Bourdeau are variants of the same surname, also Vaughan and Vaughn.

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 31-12-19 at 21:38.
Old 12-01-20, 06:48

Going to put this up here in case it becomes of interest. The time frame more or less fits if Henry Naylor was born in 1820, and if these people did in fact emigrate around this time. (The Isle La Motte history book in post #32 says he was born in 1820 and came over when he was five.)

Canada, Immigration and Settlement Correspondence and Lists, 1817-1896 for Joshua Naylor
1817-1851 (Volume 014) North America Offices; Settlers, 1826
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive...1_307307-00207

To the Right Honourable Earl Bathurst Secr[etary] of State for Colonial Affairs. The Humble Petition of the undersigned Workmen of the Township of Rastrick in the Parish of Halifax and County of York

Sheweth

That your Petitioners have been in more Prosperous times Engaged in the Fancy Cloth T[rade] which has for Several months past been nearly annihilated. The Consequence is that your Petitione[rs] are Reduced to the most Extreme Wretchedness ever known to the oldest Man living and not having the most distant hopes of ever again being able to Earn their Bread in their usual line of Business. Your Petitioners therefore humb[ly] Conceive that his Majesty’s Colonies in North America would open a larger Field for the Beneficie[nt] Employment of their Industry. Provided they had facilities afforded them of arriving on the Spot your Petitioners therefore Earnestly and most humbly Pray that your Lordship will be Pleased to Grant your humble Petitioners Land in some his Majesty’s Colonies of North America Proportioned to their means of Industry and also Provide your Petitione[rs] means of Conveyance to the Place—and your Petitioners [???] in duty Bound will ever Pray———

[There follows a list of 31 signers, by my count, including one Joshua Naylor.]

Rastrick near Huddersfield
10 Nov. 1826

P.S. Luke Noble of Rastrick will thankfully Receive any answer which your Lordship may be pleased to Transmit.

I couldn’t get that one word toward the end where I put question marks. The bits in square brackets are where I am guessing the ends of words that have faded into nothingness at the ends of lines.

In between trying to get ready for a fairly long trip and other pressing affairs I have been diligently wrestling with my list of Naylor baptisms in Yorkshire for this period to try to eliminate them but mostly have felt as if I’m chasing my own tail. I have to let it go right now, but will try to come back to it in a few weeks’ time. Thank you Kite and Merry, and all others who chimed in, for your attention.

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 29-02-24 at 20:54. Reason: Had substituted '1920' for 1820 in a couple places!
Old 12-01-20, 08:51
Administrator

If this man didn't actually leave, then he could be Joshua Naylor who was buried 6 Mar 1855 at Rastrick aged 63. On the 1851 census he is a widower and a hand loom weaver (woollen), b Heckmondwike, Yorkshire (3.6 miles away) and in 1841 a fancy weaver, in both cases living in Rastrick. In both instances he is living with his unmarried nephew Jubal (?) Naylor, who marries in 1855 using the name Jubal Naylor Holroyd (no father recorded), is on the 1861 census in that name and transcribed as Jabal W Oldroyd in 1871 (Ancestry)!

If there are any unusual names on that list of signatures, perhaps you should check to see if there's any evidence of them leaving, or staying in, the UK.

I know you are often interested in snippets of information only perhaps loosely connected to the search, so...

The Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band (formed 1881) reached number 2 in the UK singles chart in Nov 1977 with The Floral Dance and remained at that position for several weeks, whilst at number 1 was Mull of Kintyre by Wings (Paul McCartney's band). The B&R Brass Band kept the Bee Gees, with How Deep is Your Love, from going higher than number 3. In the UK at least, I should think all these tracks are well known by people of a certain age, even if they are not music lovers!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-01-20, 17:38

I love it!

There's a lot to dig into when I return from afar, provided I've not been conked by a falling coconut in the meantime.

Thanks, Merry.

Janet (Niagara)