Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-01-20, 18:08
Administrator

Sarah and John's first son was named for him and his father - Albinus John. Their second son was Edward Thadeus. Could be for her father.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-01-20, 20:05

Thankyou both!
Sarah Crookenden on the 1841 census is a widow of the right age, housekeeping for her father-in-law's brother then - they were a family of shipbuilders and Thankfull is listed as a retired shipbuilder.
I couldn't find her on any subsequent census records.
She appears to have been buried in Southwark in 1872, but Thankfull had died and so had Sarah's daughter Elizabeth, in 1857, so I wonder where she lived and who looked after her until her death at the age of 83.
I will have a look at the Edward and Ann Maynard connection again in Wittersham, Kent
Old 05-01-20, 20:08

I don't know if this helps. You might already have the death cert for John Pelham Crookenden but if not it's on Ancestry.
https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-vie...9-04a209830354

There's also this glimpse of Albinus Crookenden.
https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-vie...8-8f15a744b601

Janet (Niagara)
Old 05-01-20, 21:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Ainslie View Post
so I wonder where she lived and who looked after her until her death at the age of 83.
In 1871 she seems to be living by herself at 20 Stanley Terrace, Deptford (see post #7)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-01-20, 21:54

Thank you, I do have the Crookendens back to John Pelham's Great grandfather b in 1703.
I am particularly interested in my direct 'motherline' , Sarah Maynard is my 4 x great grandmother.
I think Merry and Kiterunner have been very helpful in re-directing me to the village of Wittersham in Kent which have parish records, so I may have pushed back this line to Sarah Maynard's Great Grandmother - if I can discover her maiden name!

Is it usual for only a mother to be named on a baptism record?

If Sarah's mother was Ann Masters who married Edward Maynard in Wittersham, in June 1789, it was only 4 months before she gave birth to Sarah!!
Old 05-01-20, 22:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Ainslie View Post
Thank you, I do have the Crookendens back to John Pelham's Great grandfather b in 1703.
I am particularly interested in my direct 'motherline' , Sarah Maynard is my 4 x great grandmother.
I think Merry and Kiterunner have been very helpful in re-directing me to the village of Wittersham in Kent which have parish records, so I may have pushed back this line to Sarah Maynard's Great Grandmother - if I can discover her maiden name!

Is it usual for only a mother to be named on a baptism record?

If Sarah's mother was Ann Masters who married Edward Maynard in Wittersham, in June 1789, it was only 4 months before she gave birth to Sarah!!
If a baptism record only names the mother, it usually means the child was illegitimate.

As for a baby being born 4 months after the parents' marriage, that wasn't very unusual.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-01-20, 11:41

Thank you.
It looks like Ann Master's mother Mary Lording, baptised in 1745 at Lydd, Kent, was the illegitimate daughter of an Ann Lording.
I am glad to have pushed back my 'motherline' knowledge by another two generations to my 7 x great grandmother, in Kent.