Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-10-21, 12:34
Administrator

No, but I could give you the names etc here!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-10-21, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
No, but I could give you the names etc here!
Not quite sure what you mean Merry - names of others who lived at 18? The photos have dates of 1909 …1913 on them and several seem to be of apossibly a Maid - others have more ‘gentrified’ people - so I think that’s why he asked for the 1911 census… although from 1909-13 the house could well have changed hands

Researching Gillett in Preston/Sheffield and Campbell and Wilkie and Hepburn in and around Glasgow
Old 16-10-21, 13:45
Administrator

Yes, names of others who lived there. I'm doubtful that CS actually lived there as most of the records show number 13.

Unfortunately there's no erolls for the time frame you mention that include anything on number 18. I also tried the newspapers on FMP, to no avail. Also the various directories on Ancestry.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-10-21, 13:54
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwacket View Post
Not quite sure what you mean Merry - names of others who lived at 18? The photos have dates of 1909 …1913 on them and several seem to be of apossibly a Maid - others have more ‘gentrified’ people - so I think that’s why he asked for the 1911 census… although from 1909-13 the house could well have changed hands
Is it definitely 18?

I say that because it doesn't seem to have existed, not 1939 register, not 1954 electoral rolls and can't find it in 1901 number 18 is being very elusive.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 16-10-21 at 14:04.
Old 16-10-21, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Is it definitely 18?
Yes Maggie… all the photos are of people in a garden and on some photos it says wording like ‘in the garden of 18 Alex. The photos/some negatives - were found in another local house.
Alexandra Rd is largely made up of large Victorian houses and they would probably have been owned by local businessmen or local dignitaries, and servants. On Google, no.18, as it was, has obviously been demolished and there’s now a modern semi-Det. but many of the original houses are still there. So (I suspect) the road may have been put together over a period of years, and houses re-numbered over a period of time.

Researching Gillett in Preston/Sheffield and Campbell and Wilkie and Hepburn in and around Glasgow
Old 16-10-21, 14:09
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwacket View Post
Yes Maggie… all the photos are of people in a garden and on some photos it says wording like ‘in the garden of 18 Alex. The photos/some negatives - were found in another local house.
Alexandra Rd is largely made up of large Victorian houses and they would probably have been owned by local businessmen or local dignitaries, and servants. On Google, no.18, as it was, has obviously been demolished and there’s now a modern semi-Det. but many of the original houses are still there. So (I suspect) the road may have been put together over a period of years, and houses re-numbered over a period of time.
I asked because it doesn't seem to anywhere.
Old 16-10-21, 14:17
maggie_4_7

On the 1911 census unless those pages are missing it jumps from 16 to 22 it looks like 18 and 20 didn't exist.
Old 16-10-21, 14:21

Quote:
I asked because it doesn't seem to anywhere.
Very strange indeed. The house that’s there now looks 1970/1980s build. It’s not a road I go along often, but the immediate impression is always of large Victorian properties. The current house could well be an in-fill from one, or maybe two other old properties which occupied a large piece of land…. And the houses were re-numbered in the process.

Old 16-10-21, 14:24
maggie_4_7

On 1901 it isn't there 17, 19, 21, 22 and 23 so you may be right its been renumbered and who ever wrote on those photographs probably put the number that is was when they wrote it not realising although it was the same house it was a different number when the photographs were taken.
Old 16-10-21, 14:39

Quote:
On 1901 it isn't there 17, 19, 21, 22 and 23 so you may be right its been renumbered and who ever wrote on those photographs probably put the number that is was when they wrote it not realising although it was the same house it was a different number when the photographs were taken.
But if they were living there when the photos were taken - and they’re not ‘formal’‘ in any way - just snapshots of people in the garden - they'd know the number of the house
But - as you say, it doesn’t seem to exist as No.18 - ummm!