Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-02-18, 19:09
Administrator

James Moss (b 1841) died in Warrington:

Deaths Mar 1907
MOSS James 64 Warrington 8c 111

Burial (111th anniversary today!)

13 Feb 1907 St John the Devine, Pemberton, James Moss, Bounty (?) asylum, Winwick, Warrington, aged 64 years

I'm not sure what happened to Margaret at the moment.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-02-18, 21:48

County, not Bounty!

OC
Old 13-02-18, 22:07
Administrator

lol Thanks!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-02-18, 04:56

Hi Merry , I also was wondering if we also made Sure that the other mother maiden name breakell wasn't James's Mother . Has she had a James moss in pemberton in 1887 Have we definitely ruled her out from being a potential mother of James ? Thanks
Old 15-02-18, 07:09
Administrator

Well you can do the same as Kate did for James, mother Margaret Leicester (see posts #22, #23, #25 and #35) - Look for the potential James on the census, look at the names of his siblings, look up their birth registrations to confirm they also have the same mmn to be sure the James on the census is the correct one. Then confirm the parents marriage.

If you do that for James Moss mmn Breakell you would discover his father's name was Thomas! We know your James had father James dec'd from his 1908 marriage cert. Here is the marriage of the parents of the other James:

Marriages Sep 1881
BREAKELL Elizabeth Wigan 8c 145
MOSS Thomas Wigan 8c 145

Also, that James was still single and living with his parents in 1911.

Old 15-02-18, 15:36

Thanks got you . Your always spot on lol thankdps ????
Old 26-02-18, 04:32

Hi , Merry , have we any idea of James moss's military service ? . I know he was in the army in the First World War , and came home shell shocked and never seem to recover until is death . I would like to find out his military service it would be nice maybe to obtain his service records . How do I go about checking you are a whizz at all these things ? Thanks
Old 26-02-18, 06:23
Administrator

I can't see an obvious service record for him on FMP or Ancestry. It's very possible it has not survived as over 50% were destroyed during WW2.

If he'd had children born during his war service you might find his regiment details on the child's birth cert, but it looks like he had children registered Q2 1914 (too soon, unless he was a regular) and Q2 1919 which may be too late, though some were still serving for a few months after the war ended.

Have you checked that no one in the family has kept anything to do with his war service? Cap badges often seem to end up in a drawer, but of course it's not always straightforward knowing who they belonged to! If we knew which regiment he was in or, better still, his army number, it's possible we could find out more.

Old 27-02-18, 13:14

Sorry merry we do not have anything belonging to him which is a shame . I do know when he came home he was in a military hospital and never worked again due to ill health . That's it that's all I know thanks
Old 27-02-18, 15:07
Administrator

Are you in touch with all his descendants?