Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 19-03-10, 08:12

Default British Army Service Records 1760-1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Hmm, I would have thought my 2xg-grandfather retired between 1883 and 1900 but he doesn't seem to be in there. I hope he turns up in one of the other releases!
He won't necessarily be there unfortunately. I have searched (several times)through the originals plus misfiles at Kew for my grandfather but found nothing.

I know he was in the Boer War & was still in the Suffolks in 1906 when he was named as next of kin on his brother's discharge but he was out by 1909 when his first child was born.

I don't suppose any of that will stop me getting a few credits in the hope that he'll suddenly appear.
Old 10-04-10, 21:24

Is there any way that I can find an ancestor who served in the Boer War in the Border Regiment? Name was Henry Boardman Tyson. His Medals say Henry Boardman. I don't subscribe to FindMYPast.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-04-10, 16:16
Administrator

You can buy pay-as-you-go credits for Findmypast, so you don't need a full subscription if you only want to view a few records. But I can't see him listed under either Tyson or Boardman on there anyway. Maybe his records will turn up on there when they upload some more, though. Do you know his army rank and / or number, and where and when he was born?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-04-10, 21:07

DaisyMae

Perhaps his records will appear when they release those discharged 1900-1913. If he went on to serve in WW1 his records, including his earlier service, may be on Ancestry.

Certainly true that by no means all records have survived although you've probably got more of a chance of them surviving after 1883 than with the earlier ones.
Old 07-05-10, 23:28

Default Military Records

Thanks for the responses - just checked back and found them.
I am still looking and appreciate the input.
Old 08-05-10, 12:20
Administrator

More records have been added very recently, 1873 - 1882:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/media/ne...c=CHEPmay.html

Old 08-05-10, 12:46
Administrator

I found a possible for my John Galway in the new records - date of birth ? I bought some credits to view the images, looked at them all, still couldn't work out if it's my John because although he was born in Antrim around the right time, he was discharged in 1869 for sun stroke in India and it said he wouldn't ever be fit to rejoin the army and was going back to Ireland. My John went back to Ireland from India about that time, but he served as a sergeant at Curragh Camp, Kildare, until 1879 or later. There didn't seem to be any info on the records about whether he was married, but I was going to save the images to look through later and try to find any more info I had missed - but the browser crashed when I was trying to save the image and now findmypast won't let me look at them again without buying more credits! Bother!