Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 07-07-19, 10:16
Administrator

Default My Heritage DNA tests

I have a contact who has issues with his tree because the parentage of his maternal grandfather is difficult to prove with a high level of certainty. A while ago I suggested he do an Ancestry DNA test to see if that would help.

Now, a year or so later (!) he has done a DNA test, but with MyHeritage instead of Ancestry I am not familiar with MH at all, so have some questions:

Am I correct in thinking MH results cannot be uploaded to Ancestry.

Should he be getting worked up that his results through MH show him to be 25% Italian when all the paper research done so far has shown him to be from London/Surrey/Oxon on both sides of his tree back to all gg-grandparents (could possibly be errors in the maternal grandfather's line, but I don't see any sensible chance of Italian blood in any line unless someone pretty close to him has the wrong father on their birth cert, or similar. How accurate are MH results? Could there be issues with them not having such a large database as Ancestry?

We have big internet issues at the moment, so I am having to use 4G from my phone to connect. I can't use that too much or I will run out of 4G allowance, so apologies if I don't reappear as often as usual!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-07-19, 13:47
maggie_4_7

You are correct Ancestry doesn't allow DNA tests taken with another company to be uploaded. It's a shame he didn't go with Ancestry.

I had mine done with Ancestry and uploaded to MH and the ethnicity results on MH are different to Ancestry - MH have picked up some other DNA but I assumes what MH picked up is included in Ancestry's England, Wales & Northwestern Europe label and I have picked up quite a few Swedish and Finnish 4th cousin connections on MH but I suppose that is because they aren't members of Ancestry.

But I don't think 25% is that much to be honest and could be a fair way back but I am a novice. I expect my Scandinavian/Finnish DNA on MH to be way way back but again who knows. DNA filters through unexpectedly it seems.

My Heritage:

North and West Europe - 98.4%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh - 72.9%
Scandinavian - 23.2%
Finnish - 2.3%
East Europe - 1.6%
Baltic - 1.6%

and Ancestry is this:

* England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 50%
* Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland

* Ireland and Scotland 50%
* Scottish Central Lowlands
Old 07-07-19, 14:36

Maggie

I have some Finnish/Icelandic dna and I know from my paper research that that must come from the Scottish side. Maybe the same for you?

OC
Old 07-07-19, 14:45
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Maggie

I have some Finnish/Icelandic dna and I know from my paper research that that must come from the Scottish side. Maybe the same for you?

OC
Oh yes that is where I think it comes from but I haven't yet found anything to substantiate it on paper, funny enough I did a tree for one of my Scottish cousins (father's brother's child) and on her mum's side a lot of Scandinavian type names popped up but then they came from the Orkney Islands.

On MH I have looked at the Swedish and Finnish connections trees and they do have some not so Scandinavian names so I think it was a case of Scots going there in these cases.
Old 07-07-19, 16:18
Administrator

Quote:
But I don't think 25% is that much to be honest and could be a fair way back but I am a novice.
I thought it was a lot ! I had assumed this meant he had an Italian grandparent or a half Italian parent!! Neither of which appears to be the case, as long as everything was above board!

Yes, very annoying he didn't choose Ancestry.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-07-19, 17:27
Administrator

25% should mean a grandparent.

My Heritage says I have 15.3% Italian and I haven't found any Italian ancestors yet. I don't think they are very accurate.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-07-19, 20:05
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
25% should mean a grandparent.

My Heritage says I have 15.3% Italian and I haven't found any Italian ancestors yet. I don't think they are very accurate.
Oh that close a relationship, okay.
Old 07-07-19, 22:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post

That's interesting. Does Ancestry say you have any Italian?

Old 07-07-19, 23:35
Administrator

Italy:
Northern Italy - no connection
Sicily - no connection
Southern Italy - no connection

and it doesn't show any percentage for Italy

so, no.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-07-19, 06:13

MyHeritage claim I am 0% English. Ancestry have me as 95% England, Wales and North Western Europe. Even with a few Huguenot ancestors, one "German" and some Welsh surnames in the tree, I don't think there is any chance I'm 0% English even if the paper trail was a little wrong, I match too many people with English ancestry.