Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 17-06-11, 14:28

Default Edmund Harwood (MMMMF)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Edmund Harwood

Date and place of birth
1803 Sutton, Sussex

Names of parents
Thomas Harwood & Mary Grant

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
18 Oct 1803, Sutton, Sussex

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
20 Sep 1830 Sutton, Sussex to Abigail Neal

Occupation(s) - if any
Master Shoemaker, Registrar for Births and Deaths at Sutton, Sussex, and sub-postmaster at Sutton, Sussex
His father Thomas left instructions in his will of 1813 that Edmund was to be supported by his mother continuing the blacksmith's business & found an apprenticeship, in the event of her early death of remarriage the other executors would ensure this was done.

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK)
At Sutton, Sussex in every census.

Date, place and cause of death
15 Jan 1883, Sutton, Sussex (from gravestone, not got the cert)

Date and place of burial.
20 Jan 1883 Sutton, Sussex

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Household effects & life interest in estate granted to widow (£82 2s 5d) then residue to be divided between his 4 surviving children. I have transcribed the will and it's on the Sussex OPC website.

Memorial inscription - if any
In/loving memory of/ Edmund Harwood/who entered into rest/January 15th 1882/aged 78 years/There remaineth therefore/a rest to the people of God/Heb 4 9

Link to daughter Emma Harwood
Link to wife Abigail Neal
Link to father Thomas Harwood

Last edited by Jill; 23-02-19 at 08:36. Reason: added links, MI, father's will
Old 04-03-17, 22:37

Will of Edmund Harwood

This is the last Will and Testament of me Edmund Harwood of the Parish of Sutton in the County of Sussex Cordwainer that is to say I appoint my dear Wife Abigail Harwood sole Executrix of this my Will and I devise and bequeath all my household Furniture books linen and generally all my household effects unto and to the use of my dear Wife absolutely and I direct her my said Wife to pay my just debts and funeral expenses as soon after my decease as conveniently may be and I devise and bequeath all the residue of my personal estate unto and to the use of my said Wife absolutely and revoking all former Wills And at the decease of me and my Wife after the just debts and funeral expenses be paid what there may be left to be parted of sold and shared equally between my six children viz Edwin, Alice, Emma, William Neal, Lucy & Sarah And should either of any of them die first and leave children then the children to have their Fathers or Mothers part I declare this to be my last Will Witness my hand this seventh day of May in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and sixty four.
Signed and executed by the said Edmund Harwood as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us both of us being present at the same time who at his request and in his presence have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses. Edmund Harwood. Thomas Janman of Chichester. John M Canner, Oving, Sussex.
Proved at Chichester the 21st day of March 1883 by the Oath of Abigail Harwood Widow the Relict of the deceased the sole Executrix named in the Will to who Administration was [no further words]
Grant: On the 21st day of March 1883 the will of Edmund Harwood late of Sutton in the County of Sussex Cordwainer deceased who died on the 15th day of January 1883 at Sutton aforesaid was proved in Her Majesty’s High Court of Justice in the District Registry attached to the Probate Division thereof at Chichester by the Oath of Abigail Harwood of Sutton aforesaid Widow the Relict of the deceased the sole Executrix named in the said will she having first sworn duly to administer.
Gross Value of Personal Estate £82,, 2,, 5

I have also found a photo on the Gravelroots website of the Post Office at Sutton c1910 (it was taken over by Edmund's son William who continued to run it as a PO and general store with the help of his sisters until at least 1911). It is now known as Forge House but in Edmund's time I think that it may have been two residences and his brother Henry, a blacksmith like their father occupied the other half, or if not that then was definitely living next door.

Tags
to3g31