Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 11-04-11, 02:13

Default Catherine Albins

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Catherine Albins

Date and place of birth
abt 1792 not in Middlesex (1841 census)

Names of parents
Date and place of baptism - if applicable

The only Albins family I have found in the right time frame is in Walsoken Norfolk - John and Mary (BOOR?) Albins had a daughter Catherine baptised 26 Nov 1792

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
married William Berry Farrow 25 May 1817, St Luke, Old St, Finsbury Middlesex

Occupation(s) - if any
none known

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

1841 - Tower Hamlets Middlesex (didn't note anything more precise0

later the family lived at North St South Hackney and Mongers Almshouses, Grove St South Hackney

Date, place and cause of death
5 Oct 1849, North St South Hackney

Date and place of burial.
not known
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
none
Memorial inscription - if any
none known

Last edited by marquette; 11-04-11 at 11:22.
Old 11-04-11, 09:28

If the birth you have found for Catherine in 1792 in Walsoken Norfolk is correct and the parents are John and Mary Albins - I found two marriages for John Albin to Mary in the IGI

One was John Albins to Mary Boor in 1781 at Whaplode in Lincolnshire and the other was in 1785 when a John Albin married a Mary Wooldridge in Portsmouth in Hampshire.

Oops - having consulted a map I realise that Walsoken is fairly close to Whaplode - so Mary Boor is more likely to be the correct marriage.

I see that William Berry Farrow was a widower when he married Catherine - and they had a large family. I wonder where all the boys were at the time of the 1841 census. Married themselves I would imagine.
All the baptisms of the children apart from the last daughter Catherine took place at St John's in Hackney and the baptism entries say they were living at Homerton. Do you have all these records from the London Metropolitan Archives?
Old 11-04-11, 11:21

Hi Val,

Yes I got all the records from the LMA. William Berry Farrow's first wife was Sarah and they had only one son, Bilby, named for WBF's father. Sarah died a month after Bilby was born in 1816 - he is to be found in the Hackney Workhouse - under Bailey sometimes. I wish I could find out more about him as he is listed as a cripple.

I also think Mary BOOR is more likely a bride for John, as their first child Susannah was baptised in 1782.

Of WBF and Catherine's children, I have all the girls in the census, but only Reuben is traceable past 1841 (died 1849 unmarried), and maybe George, but I am not sure about him in the census.

Di
Old 12-04-11, 08:51

Hello Di, I found Bilby in the 1851 and 1861 census in the workhouse. (I love that name....lol)

There was a burial for a George Farrow of East Street 7/3/1824 at Spitalfields but he was aged 11 months and I think your George Farrow would have been only 7 months.

Tags
to3g22