Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Grandparent

Old 24-07-11, 11:33
Muggins in Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I have seen another site with his year of death as 1965.

Of course you may end up with a second copy of his obit (with date?) and no death cert.
LOL!! - I hadn't thought of that Merry!
Old 24-07-11, 20:26

There's a WW1 Medal card for a John S Rathbone who was Acting Staff Sergeant, then commissioned 24/2/18. The index to Officers files gives his middle name as Silas and this MIGHT be his officers record at Kew

WO 374/56293 RATHBONE, 2/Lieut J S 1915-1922
Old 25-07-11, 05:37
Muggins in Sussex

Many many thanks for that Anne

I've just looked and I've found what may be his medal card on Ancestry (reg no M2/138898)

I can't see anything else on Ancestry, but I'll have a look at Kew next time I am there

Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 25-07-11 at 05:58.
Old 26-07-11, 15:32

Had a quick look at that file at Kew today. It IS for the right man, so worth you looking at it. I noticed his marriage was in Basel, Switzerland, 20/5/1904, and the one child you know about was mentioned - Allan Charles, born 13/3/05, Haslemere
Old 26-07-11, 16:34
Administrator

Oooh, good to hear it's the right one, Ann! The other child had died before 1911, but Allan was still alive in the 1920s.

Joan, I suppose that's a mistake on the obit which says JSR was proud of the fact that his grandfather was born during the Napoleonic wars? I shuld think that was his father, though I think we have b circa 1818 for Thomas, that's near enough for JSR!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 26-07-11, 20:51
Muggins in Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by annswabey View Post
Had a quick look at that file at Kew today. It IS for the right man, so worth you looking at it. I noticed his marriage was in Basel, Switzerland, 20/5/1904, and the one child you know about was mentioned - Allan Charles, born 13/3/05, Haslemere
That's wonderful Ann Thank you - I'll try to go to Kew again very soon - many thanks for looking for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Oooh, good to hear it's the right one, Ann! The other child had died before 1911, but Allan was still alive in the 1920s.

Joan, I suppose that's a mistake on the obit which says JSR was proud of the fact that his grandfather was born during the Napoleonic wars? I shuld think that was his father, though I think we have b circa 1818 for Thomas, that's near enough for JSR!
Merry, I think you must be right

Tags
togp4