Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 10-12-20, 21:57

Smile Why they got married

John and Catherine Griffin had four children in Broadmayne, Dorset: Honor (1680), Jane, Elizabeth and John (1690). Catherine died in 1691 and John in 1696.

There is no sign (that I've found!) of a marriage. But I did find this: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...255?pId=133046

John died intestate. Honor, Jane and Elizabeth were all underage, so their Uncle Charles Dammen took out administration on their behalf.

I trawled wills to look for any clues and I found this: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...966&pId=985006

I Richard Scoville.... give unto my servants John Griffin and Catherine Damond who have been servants unto mee many years last past fifty shillings apiece...

Richard died 24 April 1678, so I imagine John and Catherine, set up with five pounds between them married either then, or when Richard's widow died the following year.
Old 11-12-20, 09:38

So I guess that means John and Catherine were not in the first flush of youth when they were left the legacy. Perhaps into their 30s ? What a bonus that money would have been. If they had been working for Scoville since their teens and saved a little, the extra would have really been an impetus to get married.

I don't know if you want to follow up, but I was looking at some Dorset records, and I found a marriage for Charles Dammen to Alicia Phelps at Broadmayne 16 Nov 1658.

http://www.opcdorset.org/BroadmayneF...s1667-1837.htm

What I was excited about was the index page for Broadmayne mentioned that one of the well-known families was Furmedge - one of my mystery ancestors Catherine Furmedge married in Martock Somerset in 1751 - I had not looked for her in Dorset, only in Somerset. So now I have another possibility to explore.

Also, Richard Scoville was followed, sometime later (after his 1649 stint) as Town Clerk of Dorchester by George Strickland and his son George Strickland the younger who are connected to my Gilbert/Garland/Barnwell branches.
Old 11-12-20, 11:31

I tend to forget that anyone living near the coast is likely to use the sea as a highway. One of the wills mentioned an Abraham Holditch. I recognised the name immediately and lo and behold, he haled, as I suspected, from Devon.

Thank you for the marriage reference. I've been using Ancestry, but OPCs are a darn sight quickler to scan.
Old 11-12-20, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I tend to forget that anyone living near the coast is likely to use the sea as a highway. One of the wills mentioned an Abraham Holditch. I recognised the name immediately and lo and behold, he haled, as I suspected, from Devon.

Thank you for the marriage reference. I've been using Ancestry, but OPCs are a darn sight quickler to scan.
OH has Holditches in his tree.

John Flinn Holditch, son of George and Lucretia Holditch, was a Cider Merchant and Rate Collector. He lived at Bankside, Southwark with his wife and family. His wife was Hannah Newton, sister of OH's 2x-great-grandfather James Newton, who also lived at Bankside for a while as this is where his Firebrick Merchant's business was base.
Old 12-12-20, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Dorset OPCs have quite of lot of information for some parishes. Some of the other counties have barely anything and its a long time since it was updated. Have they succumbed to lack of interest and no-one is interested when "everything" seems to be on Ancestry ?