Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 04-12-20, 10:11

Default An extraordinary will!

I have just finished transcribing the will of Anne Powne Fletcher (maiden name Gully). It is classified by the NA as a "will in unusual format". It is 13,927 words long!

This will is listed on the Gorran page of the Cornwall OPC website, although Anne died in London. It is of some importance to researchers of the Gully and Slade families.

Also, it contains a lot of information about Cornish history and people, although I can't vouch for its accuracy! It is also a remarkable insight into the social history of the period.

Basically, this lady, who leaps off the page at you, is trying to have lands / estates restored to her family. She believes that many people over the years have deceived, tricked and stolen from her family. She lists pedigrees, often in very confused terms, and substantiates her claims by referring to documents and papers she has in her possession. She has a particular gripe with the Duchy:
"but I disclaim all Parliamentary Acts for Cornwall a separate State not part of the Queen of Englands Dominions nor under her Lords and Commons but under Duchy Officers now In Trust for the legal Duke the Coryn Cornewaille the Prince of Wales is only deputy of the Queen and is not Lord of the Duchy Lands which only owe fealty and service to the Crown and are entitled to their own reigning Duke at Restomel Castle and at Trematon as in time of Henry 4th 5th and 6th"

She is already involved in Chancery.

Anne Powne Gully married Samuel James Fletcher on New Year's Day 1828 at Newport, Isle of Wight. The marriage broke down and I found that Samuel actually divorced her in America.

When probate was granted, they basically said that the only part that could be administered was where she leaves possessions she owned.
Three of the appointed executors renounced, probably with a sigh of relief!
She sounds a truly formidable lady who is totally obsessed with her life's mission.
Old 04-12-20, 13:58

I think you are an extraordinary person for transcribing it, what feat of dedication.
Old 04-12-20, 14:14

I love transcribing wills, Jill. It has kept me sane this year. It gives me something to focus on and I can retreat to my study and shut myself off from all the bad news.

There is another one looming: 56 single pages of a PCC will from the National Archives. I've just started the first page. I'll do a couple of pages a day.
Old 04-12-20, 14:38
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I think you are an extraordinary person for transcribing it, what feat of dedication.
I agree, but I understand what Elizabeth said about retreating and absorbing yourself in something other than all the bad news.
Old 04-12-20, 15:04

The background to the will is given here:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/...lly%20cornwall

About half way down the second column.
Old 04-12-20, 16:28
Administrator

I bet some people on Ancestry will have trees going back to Brute and / or Coreyn. Off to look...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-12-20, 16:35
Administrator

Surprisingly, I can't find any. But her tree in that article does seem pretty tenuous!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-12-20, 16:42

Kiterunner, the will rambles and she repeats herself a lot. Also, with the lack of punctuation it is difficult sometimes to know where one thought ends and another starts. When the Wills' Coordinator has checked it, it will be sent for uploading onto the Gorran page of the website.

I get the feeling the whole thing fizzled out in the end, as the three main executors renounced, leaving just the family to sort it out. I don't know how much stomach they had for the fight. She even wanted to make a son of her niece ward of Chancery.
Old 08-12-20, 08:49

I am shocking at transcribing wills.
Old 08-12-20, 09:38

The transcription is now on the Gorran page of the website:

https://www.opc-cornwall.org/Par_new...powne_1847.pdf