Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 21-11-20, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Is the missing word 'repeated'? The person recording this will seems to have made a bit of a bodge of the word and I wonder if they then missed out the word 'acts', as "many repeated acts of disobedience" makes a lot more sense.

*puts down deposit on a time machine*
Yes, I did think it could be repeated, but it was a puzzle as I was thinking that it should be a word similar to acts.

And now, I wonder what they did? Can I join you in the time machine?

Di
Old 22-11-20, 02:42

The worst old document I have come across was in Latin, and in court hand. My Latin is a bit rusty, and later Latin users often "bastardised" words. Normally I can muddle through, but the court hand script threw me.
Old 22-11-20, 10:29
maggie_4_7

Quote:
I don't mind having a go for you Maggie. Send me a pm if you like.
I might take you up on that but I would have to see which one could be the more fruitful. I put the information on the back-burner because wills frustrate me so much. Most of them are like gobbledygook to me, I looked at the link Elizabeth posted and I can't read a word of it.
Old 22-11-20, 11:14
Administrator

lol you are welcome. I don't have much to do in the afternoons/evenings. If they are online ones you could send me the link.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-11-20, 12:05

I went to the Scottish Archives and copied a will onto A3 and still couldn't read it - it was in pencil and an absolute nightmare. I gave up. Thankfully it wasn't really needed.
Old 22-11-20, 12:11
maggie_4_7

Quote:
lol you are welcome. I don't have much to do in the afternoons/evenings. If they are online ones you could send me the link.
Perhaps it depends what mood I am in I just opened that link again and I can read some of it yesterday I opened it and it just looked like a muddle.
Old 22-11-20, 12:44

Maggie, it does get easier. When I started transcribing wills I found it really difficult and now I can cope with most writing.
Old 22-11-20, 13:09

The good thing about wills is that there is a lot of common form wording. It's probably easier to read a will than a witness signature, but it is a question of getting your eye in. If I spend too long on Tudor wills, I cannot cope at all with censuses. But dialect words and alternate spellings can be challenging. Even when I made out inioie and neve, it took me some time to recognise enjoy and nephew.
Old 25-11-20, 00:55

My GG-grandfather George Inman divided his estate between his wife and four of his five children, then:

Quote:
I give to my eldest son Arthur Inman the sum of Ten pounds providing he stay at home and be a good help to his mother till he is twenty one years of age but all things to be as my wife thinks best for there sole use.
Whether Arthur ever got the money I don't know, but the reason for his exclusion became clear from a newspaper cutting about one of the many occasions when Arthur got into trouble with the law.

He stole some meat (although he worked as a butcher), with the excuse that he was starving.

But a police sergeant told the court that Arthur's father (who was not rich, but certainly not badly off) told him that his son was "the very worst lad he knew of. He had been at sea on board a fishing smack but had absconded, and they would not take him back on any consideration."
Old 25-11-20, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
I can't help but think there's a lot going on there!
That's an excellent story!