Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-03-10, 18:25

Mandy

My ex had ancestors in the Covent Garden area of London. They married in Romford, Essex. I couldn't understand why, as their parish church was St Martin in the Fields, which is a lovely church.

Turns out that the bride's aunt, who she was very close to, lived in Romford, so I'm guessing aunty hosted the wedding.

It might be of course that your lot wanted to be somewhere away from their parish for reasons unknown - because the bride was pregnant, because they didn't want to invite people who might have thought they should be invited, because they didnt' like the local vicar?
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 18-03-10, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Because I'm psychic?!! I looked for a marriage in that church in 1838 to see what he wrote and, as it happened, the one I looked at (out of dozens) was the one for the people from High Wycombe!
Did you get that info from Ancestry, Merry? I haven't got Ancestry at the moment, I've got Findmypast, so Sue (above) has offered to have a look for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
Mandy

My ex had ancestors in the Covent Garden area of London. They married in Romford, Essex. I couldn't understand why, as their parish church was St Martin in the Fields, which is a lovely church.

Turns out that the bride's aunt, who she was very close to, lived in Romford, so I'm guessing aunty hosted the wedding.

It might be of course that your lot wanted to be somewhere away from their parish for reasons unknown - because the bride was pregnant, because they didn't want to invite people who might have thought they should be invited, because they didnt' like the local vicar?
Thanks, Nell. I'm pretty sure that the bride wasn't pregnant (unless it didn't survive) because there's only a baby with them on the 1841 census, 3 years after the marriage. It's nice having a little puzzle
Old 18-03-10, 18:49
Administrator

Quote:
Did you get that info from Ancestry, Merry?
Yes, that's right.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-03-10, 18:55

Sue's sending me a copy of the image; I've got all the info already but it's only a copy from the GRO, so we'll be able to see the original signatures
Old 19-03-10, 16:46

Many thanks for kindly sending me the image, Sue. It's great to see all their signatures and I was pleasantly surprised that they could all write
Old 19-03-10, 17:12

You're welcome Mandy.

Very few of mine signed their own names.... but they weren't the offspring of Gentlemen
Old 19-03-10, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
You're welcome Mandy.

Very few of mine signed their own names.... but they weren't the offspring of Gentlemen
It's the first time I've come across a gentleman Disappointingly, he's not mine, he belongs to OH (his 3x great grandfather) lol.

It has printed out really well, all the signatures are very clear. Thanks again!
Old 19-03-10, 19:21
Administrator

I'm not sure I would take the word Gentleman too seriously, just in case. One of mine put his father's occupation down as "Gentleman" on his marriage cert, yet his older brother had put the correct occupation as Coachman a few years earlier. I wouldn't mind but the father was already deceased by the time they both married so I think younger son was trying to big himself up a bit lol!

Joanie
Old 19-03-10, 19:24
Administrator

I suppose, Joanie, if his father was dead he was being truthful in that his father did not need to work for his living, so in that sense he was a gentleman!! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-03-10, 19:26

I'm fairly sure that I've found the groom's father on the 1841 census listed as a Schoolmaster, so I guess it's quite likely he could have been a gentleman living on his own means?