Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-03-10, 15:05

Default City of London

This is the first time I've come across a birth, marriage or death in the City of London so I'd appreciate some help please

I've just received the marriage certificate (1838) for OH's 3x great-grandparents. They were both resident in High Wycombe at the time of their marriage (which is what we were expecting) but their marriage took place in the Parish Church of St Dunstan-in-the-West, City of London.

Firstly, why would they have both been resident in High Wycombe but married in a City of London parish? Would it have had anything to do with the groom's father being a 'gentleman'? The church was, and still is, in Fleet Street.

Secondly, the parish registers are apparently held at the LMA. I seem to remember a while back something about the LMA being closed - was that just temporary or have the records been moved?

Thanks to anyone who can help
Old 18-03-10, 15:18

Can't help with why they might have married in the City but the St Dunstan's records are part of the LMA records available on Ancestry. If you don't have access post the details and I'll have a look!
Old 18-03-10, 15:48

Some of the City churches are guild churches, did the family have any connection with a particular trade/profression? A quick google reveals St Dunstans had links with cordwainers & Hoares Bank.
Old 18-03-10, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
Can't help with why they might have married in the City but the St Dunstan's records are part of the LMA records available on Ancestry. If you don't have access post the details and I'll have a look!
Thanks for your help, Sue, I've sent you a message
Old 18-03-10, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Some of the City churches are guild churches, did the family have any connection with a particular trade/profression? A quick google reveals St Dunstans had links with cordwainers & Hoares Bank.
Jill, I found the website for St Dunstans in the West and it says that it became a Guild church in the 1950s for people working in and around Fleet Street. I'll have another look because I didn't see anything about cordwainers and bankers.

I don't know the trade of the groom's father because under occupation, it just says 'gentleman'. It's all very interesting because this is the first time I've had any dealings with the City of London, the LMA and a gentleman lol.
Old 18-03-10, 17:28
Administrator

If neither of them had an address in the parish then the marriage should not have been by banns. Was it?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-03-10, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
If neither of them had an address in the parish then the marriage should not have been by banns. Was it?
Ooerr, it looks as though it was! The writing's not terribly clear but I can make out the bit where it says "....of the Established Church after Banns by me" and instead of his full name, he's just put his initials followed by "Bishop's Curate".
Old 18-03-10, 18:06
Administrator

I think he wrote W C Bishop, curate - so Bishop was his surname!

For the banns to be read one of them would have had to give an address in the parish, but I guess if the curate knew that wasn't their regular address he was at liberty to write their usual address on the cert.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-03-10, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I think he wrote W C Bishop, curate - so Bishop was his surname!
Oh what a fool I am *blushes* How did you know his initials were WC??

I'm wondering if they were married there because the groom's father had some connection with Fleet Street and that particular church?
Old 18-03-10, 18:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy in Wiltshire View Post
Oh what a fool I am *blushes* How did you know his initials were WC??
Because I'm psychic?!! I looked for a marriage in that church in 1838 to see what he wrote and, as it happened, the one I looked at (out of dozens) was the one for the people from High Wycombe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy in Wiltshire View Post
I'm wondering if they were married there because the groom's father had some connection with Fleet Street and that particular church?
Maybe. My relatives tended to marry in London when they shouldn't have been marrying at all, but maybe yours were not so naughty!! lol