Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-03-10, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The 1871 census for her should in theory say Hannah Fisher step daughter of Aaron Moulton. Hannah's mother Eliza Fisher married widowed Aaron Moulton in 1866.
That's true, but she might have been known as Moulton while growing up in the household and used her real name only officially. We have some children at school who do this, saves confusion with the parents being called the wrong name.

If it only names Charles Fisher as her father on her second marriage cert, maybe she had forgotten, or did not want her second husband to know she was illegit ? Maybe he knew her mother was Eliza Fisher Moulton and assumed Charles Fisher was her father, not Charles Thanwill. Can you look at who the marriage witnesses were ? Any Fishers or Thanwills, or just Wilsons ? If Charles Thanwill is her father, why did he and Eliza not marry, it would not have been that unusual ? Lots of people told fibs on their marriage certificates, especiallly the second time around - my great-grandma even said she was a widow, when she weren't.

Di

Last edited by marquette; 15-03-10 at 20:19.
Old 16-03-10, 07:06

What I meant really was, how is 1878 Hannah Thanwell yours? Childs birth cert gives that maiden name I guess
Old 19-03-10, 17:44

In answer to Jess I suppose if I flip the question I know that George in 1878, all 3 of the birth certs (the oldest child I don't have but have seen it & has a Thanwell variation on) & the 1890 death are the same person, which is how I have linked Hannah to the other records.

To answer Di to be honest I don't think Hannah really knew her correct name or age & I don't think she lived with her mother for long. She's a 'nursery' to an unknown couple miles away from her mother in 1861, married in Lancashire fairly young, moved to her husband's home County (Durham) & retired with her second husband to Lincolnshire. Her mother on the other hand stayed in the same area of Cheshire & lived close by to her children with Aaron Moulton.

Neither of her marriages are witnessed by family members. The 1878 one was witnessed by a woman she appears to of worked with & a man her husband was in the army with. Her second marriage was witnessed by a serial witness & a neighbour.

Her second husband was from Essex & moved to Durham so I don't think he would of known Hannah's family & maybe nothing of her past.

The two Charles Thelwell's that are in the right area in Cheshire both appear to have married in the mid 1860's. Thanwell/Thanwell seems to be a possible so I need to research these 2 in depth tho can't see anyway of proving either were her father unless my some miracle they left wills & name Hannah as a daughter!