Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-03-10, 01:05

I also got great grandma's son's death cert. He died of mitral stenosis. It didn't give a lenght of time but there was no post mortem for him according to the death cert. That sounds like he had been treated, to me, or they at least knew he had the heart problem. Am I correct?
Old 17-03-10, 06:21
maggie_4_7

I don't know what year you are talking about but today it would be diagnosed by echocardiogram or ultrasound. But I suspect they could tell by listening to the heart through their stethoscopes because it would have an irregular beat.

It is caused by a number of things though.
Old 17-03-10, 08:14

Sorry Maggie, it was in the 1930s.

When I googled it said the main cause was rheumatic fever. My grandma also had it so I think, in this case, it was also casued by rheumatic fever.

I'm going to ask 2 second cousins to see if they know how many in the family had it.
Old 18-03-10, 15:15

My MIL died very suddenly just over 3 years ago and OH and his sister thought there would be a post mortem. However, it turned out she'd seen her GP a couple of days before for something connected to the cause of death, so a PM wasn't necessary.
Old 18-03-10, 20:52

Even though my Father had cancer and was terminal - when we called the doctors a locum came out (on a sunday) to pronounce death but wouldn't sign death certificate - it was our own doctor who had to do that as he had seen him in the previous few days.

Was told there wasn't a need for a post mortem as his GP had seen him and his medical condition was known.