Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-05-22, 08:38

As you enter Allerton Cemetery there is a map about 10-12 ft square of the sections - it is very well organised and a HUGE Cemetery with a lovely little Chapel right in the middle xx
Old 10-05-22, 08:43
Administrator

Good luck then. I hope there's no rain forecast!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-05-22, 09:41

Well - that was interesting - my Sister in Law said on the phone - "your dad used to say - my dads grave is over there ( Daniel Oakes died 1957 )..My sister in Law asked - "don't you visit his grave Les ?" -My dad said " NO - He was nothing but a Drunken Bully "
SO - Daniel is in Allerton somewhere - I didn't know my dad thought about my grandad like that ...now I do - didn't know my grandad was like that - just shows you
Old 10-05-22, 09:53

My eldest brother aged 76 is going tomorrow - and I am going with my youngest brother on Thursday - my eldest brother was almost 4 when my Nanny Oakes died and remembers her fondly - He never said as much - but I think he wants to be the first to visit her grave ...
Old 10-05-22, 10:27
Administrator

I expect Daniel Oakes' entry is on one of the pages missed by Ancestry, or whoever it was who filmed the register book and kelp turning more than one page at a time (maybe they were wanting to go home at the end of a long day?!!)

When your dad said his father's grave was 'over there' do you know where he was standing?!! Maybe you can find it. I think it would be nice to see it once even if he wasn't the best father/grandfather.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-05-22, 11:09

He was going to my mum and brothers grave - the right is c of e - the left is RC so he has nodded to the right - my brother is going to look tomorrow for Marthas grave - Daniels first wife - I have a feeling Daniel is in with her ..i will let you know ..
Old 10-05-22, 11:25

A bit off topic, but it’s a pity you don’t have place of burial on the death certs. It makes it so much easier.
Old 10-05-22, 11:36

Libby - if only -
Old 10-05-22, 11:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garstonite View Post
He was going to my mum and brothers grave - the right is c of e - the left is RC so he has nodded to the right - my brother is going to look tomorrow for Marthas grave - Daniels first wife - I have a feeling Daniel is in with her ..i will let you know ..
You have the ref for Martha's upthread, so hopefully not too difficult to find, though I have to say I have always found it very tricky even with an exact number!

I see Daniel was in the merchant navy for WW1. Maybe this experience affected him, if he became a drunken bully?

Old 10-05-22, 13:10

Daniel waS also in the Army in WW1 - WHEN HE JOINED HE WAS ONLY 15 /16 - THEY FOUND OUT AND THREW HIM OUT
SO
My dads brother was Daniel born 1922 - died 2002
his eldest son is till alive age 76 -
my brother went to the Cemetery earlier and found Daniel b 1922 youngest son - John Christopher Oakes died 1996 grave
My brother rang the elder brother to ask if John is in with Martha - and he replied NO - My mum and dad are both in with MARTHA ..
SO - He is meeting me on Thursday to take me to Marthas grave which also has Daniel Oakes and Edith Oakes in it as well
a success story - AND My eldest brother and Youngest brother are coming along too - so Martha will have 4 of her Grandsons at her grave Thursday - a most successful Day - THANKS Merry ...you little Beautie ...xxx