Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 04-05-22, 17:44

Default A work in progress

When my Mum died I found 2 drawers full of photos, loose or in those paper envelopes you used to get when you had your film developed. Some were labelled "Aunty Chat" etc and fortunately I know who Aunty Chat was! A lot weren't labelled but I did know what they were.

I scanned a lot of them, especially the old ones printed on card, and downloaded them to the relevant people on my Ancestry tree.

I've got the old card photos in a fireproof safe. The others I've now sorted into photos of my relatives, photos just of me, photos of my sons and I have 3 albums. I just need to put them in and write them up, but I've made a start.

My Mum never got that far. Below the two drawers of photos was a cupboard with half a dozen photo albums, all empty!

One of the old card photographs is of an elderly man, with side whiskers, wrapped in a shawl. No idea who he was, he doesn't look like any family member, but he could be my step-great grandfather. No way of knowing now and as my grandfather ran a photo enlarging and framing business it could be a random customer!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire