Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 20-04-22, 09:00

Default How accurate is Find A Grave?

I got excited by a reference I found, only to realise that it might simply be an entry from the burial register.

Are there any rules than have to be followed on this site by those submitting entries, or can anyone enter what they like?

I have to say, that where there are images of graves, these are incredibly useful, and I am indebted to those who do contribute images.
Old 20-04-22, 09:23

Phoenix, I have lately found that people are adding information to Find A Grave and other such websites without having photos of the memorial etc. They often add details that aren't on any grave etc. Sometimes it's from the burial register, other times their own information. Of course, in these cases there is no photo.
Old 20-04-22, 11:08

I don't have a problem with additions to an existing entry, but if someone puts in an entry straight off an Ancestry tree it can cause confusion. Some people appear in several registers, but may not be buried in those locations. Even a memorial is no guarantee of a grave.
Old 20-04-22, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I don't have a problem with additions to an existing entry, but if someone puts in an entry straight off an Ancestry tree it can cause confusion. Some people appear in several registers, but may not be buried in those locations. Even a memorial is no guarantee of a grave.
I agree, Phoenix.

I have several instances of people being remembered on a memorial but being buried elsewhere.
Old 20-04-22, 13:07
Administrator

I usually ignore any "Find a Grave" hints that come up on Ancestry nowadays. But of course the actual photos of gravestones are good.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-04-22, 16:34

Some of them are utter tripe, someone from Australia has added a lot of OH's Botting relatives from Sussex using just the year of death and death registration district and obviously has no idea at all where the actual burial is.

Photos of actual gravestones are another matter and very helpful.