Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 27-10-21, 17:02

I have the Pro subscription now, the most expensive one. It's the only one with newspapers, which I have always been able to view with my previous subscriptions.
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/free-trial

I got quite a good discount but it's still expensive.
Old 08-11-21, 12:57
Administrator

The age column on the 1921 census is years and months, not just years. If FMP have transcribed both years and months, I imagine they will have to rejig their normal age calculation, which, as with most genealogy sites, is more often than not a year out since the censuses were taken in the first half of the year when most people would not have had their birthdays yet. It would be a bit more obvious if the year of birth was a year out when the age given is so much more accurate! It might be a bit confusing if the form says April and the census was actually taken in June, though.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-11-21, 17:06
Administrator

In answer to my own post above, I just looked at one of their sample transcription screens, and it will only show age in years on there, even though the image will show years and months. Because the sample transcription doesn't go with the sample image, I can't say for sure whether the birth years have been calculated more accurately than normal, but it looks very unlikely since for all 5 people on the transcription, the age and the "birth year" add up to 1921. Seems like a missed opportunity!

Old 09-11-21, 14:03

Wonder what age my Mum will have given seeing that she took 2 years off on her marriage certificate.
Old 30-11-21, 16:19
Administrator

TNA have announced that there will be free access to the 1921 census at Manchester Central Library and the National Library of Wales as well as at TNA itself:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...S3X9d6oXwx_Pts

It doesn't say whether this access will be unlimited or capped, though. They did something similar with the 1911 census at various county archives but they were restricted to a certain number of "credits" which were used up much more quickly than expected and then it was cut off.

Old 01-12-21, 01:53

I wonder whether there will be other hubs announced because Birmingham Library had access to the 1911 and then subsequently to the other online records at the NA for a set period of time when the credits ran out.

It's interesting they're only offering it to two "local hubs" this time. Those two aren't really providing wider access around the country unless you are close to them.

Any yes Birmingham is local to me so it would be nice if they did get access. That said I was only planning on possible getting a few entries anyway when it goes live and then will wait for the eventual inclusion in the FMP subs whenever that happens, possibly few years. I don't think its of as much use as earlier census to be fair, although it will be nice to see my other two grandparents on their first Census.

Last edited by NickiP; 01-12-21 at 01:58.
Old 14-12-21, 18:21
Administrator

Just in case anyone has been misled by the article in the latest issue of "Family Tree" magazine - you will NOT "need a subscription to Findmypast" to view the 1921 census, as they claim. They are probably trying to say that you will need an account on Findmypast, but a free account will be fine.

Old 19-12-21, 06:29

I have a Ultimate British & Irish Subscription. This is what the ïnvoice on FMP says:
Current Period Nov 18, 2021 - Aug 28, 2022. That is not 12 months to me and I definitely didn't renew it last month.

Interesting to see what it will do for me next time. I'll wait for the census to hopefully be included in a normal sub. I'd like to see my Grandma on a census but I can wait, there is nothing urgent about it.
Old 19-12-21, 10:05
Administrator

Toni, if you look through your old emails you should be able to find one from when your sub was renewed to see what the actual date was.

Old 19-12-21, 10:25

It should be the end of August as that is just after my kids birthdays. I'm guessing there is some issue with their system and the start date is out. I'm not worried, the end date seems fair