Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 11-12-09, 20:41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
I also checked the marriage index, but it doesn't look as though he remarried in NSW.

There are two men born in the 1920s to father John Gosden, but he'd be a bit old if it was him, although it's obviously not impossible.
Thanks Mary. I hadn't thought of him fathering more children! *draws in another tree branch*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-12-09, 20:59

It may not be him, though. There's a John Gosden listed in Sands Directories from 1913-1924 in Smith Street, Mascot, Sydney, who's probably the father of the two men (one of them, GRG, was born in Sydney in 1920, and the other, BNG, in Mascot in 1922). This John's occupation isn't given, unfortunately. In a couple of years there were a Richard and Sidney Gosden living at Smith Street, Mascot. One of the sons, BNG, moved to Western Australia; the other was killed in WW2.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-12-09 at 21:06.
Old 11-12-09, 21:08

OK, that John Gosden's irrelevant; I've found his son Gordon Russell's death on the CWGC site, and his parents are John George and Charlotte Gosden.
Old 11-12-09, 22:06
Administrator

Thank you Mary for checking that one out for me. If only mum had asked his daughter more about what happened when he left I might have a better idea of whether this is him or not. I have no idea if they just thought he went to Oz or if he actually did. The only thing I can be reasonably certain of is that he didn't stay here, unless he changed his name!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-12-12, 17:02

Hello Mary from Italy number 12 comment

John George and Charlotte Gosden were my grandparents, my father's parents.
Gordon Russell Gosden who was killed in Rhodesia in WW2 was one of three sons they had and an uncle whom I never met.
BNG another son was my father Bruce Neville Gosden who died on the 10th of March 2004 in Perth Western Australia

Tags
togg5