Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 01-11-20, 22:40
Administrator

Default Who Do You Think You Are - Liz Carr 2nd Nov

At 9 p.m. on BBC1 and repeated next Sunday at 4:30 p.m. on BBC2.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-11-20, 21:26

Her grandfather John Hughes served on the Vivid 1 in WW1. They didn’t mention it but I spotted it on the naval record. My great uncle served on that as well.
Old 02-11-20, 23:22
Administrator

Episode synopsis:

Liz Carr lives in London with her wife Jo, but she was born and grew up on the Wirral, near Liverpool. Her father Peter died last year, and her mother Pat still lives on the Wirral. Peter's family came from Ireland. Pat's father died when Pat was about 7 or 8. Liz went to Liverpool to see Pat, who showed her some family photos and told her that Peter's parents were Peter Joseph Carr, known as Joe, and Margaret Ryan. The Ryan family came from Drumintee, in County Armagh, Northern Ireland. Pat's father was John Joseph Hughes. Pat showed Liz the 1911 census entry, which lists John, aged 11, as the adopted son of Margaret Stokes age 72. Margaret also had an adult son Robert Stokes.

Liz went to St Catherine's Church, Tranmere, and met an historian who showed her that on the 1901 census, John was 2 years old, living with his father John Hughes, age 38, a blacksmith's labourer, mother Alice, 34, and sister Emily, 7. Margaret Stokes was living at the same address as the family. Liz was then shown the 1907 Religious Creed Register of Tranmere Workhouse, which showed that John sr was an inmate there. The workhouse was very close to St Catherine's Church. The 1908 workhouse death register showed that John sr died of TB, age 44, and the 1910 register showed that Alice died of cancer, also age 44.

Liz then went online and searched for John jr's WW1 record. She found that he served in the Royal Navy. The ships that he served on included the Powerful, the Victory, and the Kildonan Castle. Liz went to the Merseyside Maritime Museum and met an historian who showed her a photo of John when he was serving on the Kildonan Castle, and a photo of the ship, which was part of the Northern Patrol during WW1. There was a report of the ship being torpedoed by a German submarine, but the torpedoes missed. In 1922, John left the Royal Navy and joined the Merchant Navy, serving as a fireman and trimmer on the Anthlicus (spelling?). The ship's log book showed that it went on long voyages to America, Asia, etc. In 1927 John joined the crew of a ship called the Pyrrhus (?) and returned home to marry Annie Esther Giullian on the 30th Apr 1927. He was 27, Annie 20.

Liz then went to the parish of Killeavy in County Armagh to find out about the Ryan family. She met an historian at Killeavy Castle, which is near Drumintee. The historian showed her a document from 1864 which showed that her 3xg-grandfather Bernard Ryan, aka Barney, rented a house and four acres of land from a landlord John Foxall, who also owned Killeavy Castle. John Foxall and two other local landlords were descendants of Sir Marmaduke Whitechurch. Barney had previously been a tenant of one of the other landlords, Meredith Chambré. They went to see Meredith Chambré's house, now derelict, and Liz was shown a painting of what it used to look like, and a picture of Meredith Chambré, who was a magistrate as well as a landlord. A letter to the London Daily News in 1852 described the poverty of Chambré's tenant farmers, not long after the potato famine.

Liz was shown a threatening letter which was sent to Chambré in December 1851, complaining that the rents which he charged were too high, signed by "General Vengeance". She went to where the stables were, now a café, and met another historian who showed her local press reports which said that shots had been fired at Chambré when he was returning home in January 1852, one of which hit his hat and another his head. He survived with serious injuries. He had previously reported to the police that he had heard of plotting against him among certain local men, and the police had visited their houses and found that they belonged to a group called the Ribbon Men who met in secret to try to organise for changes in society such as preventing the landlords from charging such high rents. The list of people who the police talked to included Barney Ryan. His statement to the police said that he had been at Chambré's house waiting to pay his rent, then went home and met with several people at his own house. A newspaper report from the day after the shooting gave precise details of where it happened, and Liz went to see the place.

Liz then went to Armagh and met an historian who showed her the old courthouse and jail, and showed her documents relating to the trial of a Francis Berry who admitted to being part of the conspiracy to shoot Chambré, although not the shooter, and was sentenced to death and was hanged. His confession included the information that he went to Barney Ryan's house after the shooting, and that Barney Ryan then arrived home, took charge and told the other men there to go back to their homes. Liz went back to Killeavy where she met a local historian who showed her the transcript of a recorded interview with a woman called Mary Nugent who had been a child at the time of the shooting, and who had been told that Barney Ryan was a ringleader, and that Chambré had increased Ryan's rent after seeing that he had a good crop of potatoes. After the shooting, Chambré ordered the evicition of those of his tenants who went to Berry's wake or his funeral, and most of them, including Ryan, became Foxall's tenants.

Old 02-11-20, 23:23
Administrator

I thought that was the most interesting of the four episodes. An actual family tree! I'm not sure if any of the others had one.

Old 03-11-20, 08:23

I was finding the naval aspect of WWI an interesting change from the usual army in the trenches .... so what happened? We had a power cut and by the time it came back I'd missed most of that section. I thought they spent too much time on the Irish assault story, I suspect because there wasn't anything else worth talking about. I'm afraid my interest waned so, all in all I didn't rate the programme very highly. I might watch the first half of the repeat just to see what I missed while the power was off.
Old 03-11-20, 08:51

I nodded off towards the last 15 minutes or so but I’d had a bad night the night before so in anticipation I might not stay awake I’ve recorded it as well. Will watch it later.
Old 03-11-20, 09:41

Didn't do much for me I'm afraid. As Ann says, went on far too long about the Irish finding.

OC
Old 03-11-20, 09:49
Administrator

I've been disappointed with this last series. Except for Ruth.

Old 03-11-20, 11:55

Ruth Jones was a gem! One of the very best WDYTYA imo.