Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-07-14, 17:23

Lviv university was shelled by troops in November 1848 and temporarily closed until January 1850.
Old 01-07-14, 19:21

Thanks Shona for that info
Old 01-07-14, 20:22

How nice ...Old Mersey Times have sent me a reply to my e mail
he was born in 1830 in Poland and was aged 21 in Cherry Lane

This is the entry for 1851 census at 20 Cherry Lane
First name(s) Moris Last name Christ Relationship to household head -
Marital condition Unmarried Gender Male Age 21 Birth year 1830 Occupation
Sergant Caval Birth place (other) Poland Birth place - Birth town - Birth
county - House number - House name - Street Cherry Lane Parish Liverpool
City or borough Liverpool Town Liverpool County Lancashire Country England
Ecclesiastical disctrict St Bartholomew Parliamentary borough Liverpool
Municipal ward Liverpool Registration district Liverpool Enumeration
district 1t Series HO107 Piece number 2178 Folio 589 Page 41 Record set
1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Category Census, land & surveys
Record collection Census Collections from Great Britain
I have the other occupants at this address all soldiers and born Poland etc
I presume you have the newspapers cuttings
Regards
Jane
is this the info you have Claire ?...and why would a 21 year old Cavalry Sergeant be HEAD of the household ...probably his Rank ??...sure there would be older men than Maurice / Moris there
ADDED...Cherry Lane is quite a distance from Liverpool City Centre and is in quite a nice area ??? I wonder how they got that house ??...

Last edited by garstonite; 01-07-14 at 20:27.
Old 01-07-14, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Lviv university was shelled by troops in November 1848 and temporarily closed until January 1850.
my father in law was born 37 miles from Lviv ...that is where the Rohatyn birth registrations are kept ...

I have just checked Cherry Lane , St Bartholomew Parish - and it is the one I thought - in quite a nice area ...but ...1851 ???...may not have been like that then ...
Old 02-07-14, 06:21

Hi Allan,

Yes I had the 1851 census information for Maurycy. He isn't the head of the household, that's James Wolynis? aged 43. Maurycy (Moris on this census) was on page 3 of the names. The address was 20 Cherry Lane.

Knowing nothing at all about Liverpool, the information about the areas these addresses are in is appreciated
Old 02-07-14, 09:44

Ah-ha! I was looking at all those Polish-born soldiers in the 1851 census and who should turn up on the first page? A certain Charles Bulanski, 21, sergeant, infantry. So Charles B and Maurice C stayed at Mr Sabell's Emigrants' home in Liverpool on their arrival in England. Then they lived at the same place in 1851.
Old 02-07-14, 10:43

Ah, there he is. Because I hadn't taken that much notice of the witnesses to his marriage before, I hadn't looked for Charles on either census. So its very likely that after their time in Liverpool, Charles & Maurice will have travelled to Sheffield together. I do wonder how they knew Constantine Podoski (who appears sometimes i've noticed as Leon Constantia Podoski) who was lodging at a different place on the 51 census and was in Sheffield by May 1851 according to a newspaper article. I do wonder how long after the 51 census Charles & Maurice came to Sheffield.

Although i've just relooked at the 1854 newspaper article I have for the Polish refugees in Sheffield and Maurice & Constantine are listed but Charles is not. Neither is Aloys Boberski.
Old 02-07-14, 18:22

Claire, I've found two newspaper articles - actually both very long letters from the Polish community in Sheffield. The first one was in the Northern Star on 9 November 1851 and the other (the one you have referred to?) was in the Sheffield Independent on 27 May 1854.

The two letters confirm that the men had been exiled in Turkey before coming to England in 1851.

The 1851 letter states that shortly after their arrival in Liverpool, people formed committees to support the refugees. One such committee was set up in Sheffield and the committee applied for 28 of the refugees.

The letters is signed by the following 28 men - I assume the 28 that they committee applied for. Some of the names are faint, so there may be transcription errors.

Severyn Czarwinski
Stanislaus Czarwinski
Wm Domkowicz
Herman Fi?bek
Louis Galecko
Valentine Gladycz
Julian Goraczko
Antoni Halski
Albin Hiawaty
Jasper Kalinoski
Leon Klem
Ferdinand Kowalski
Alexander Krzyzarowski
Charles Kugler
Ladislaus Lysowaki
Maximilliam Meux
John Mularski
Sebastian Nachman
Peter Ortynski
John Podinbiski
Albert Podorodecki
John Podoski
Simeon Rejowski
Jacon Skromaczewski
Fortunat Strowski
John Szuryn
Felix Terlecki
Peter Terlecki

The 1854 letter says that on 10 March 1851, just days after they landed in Liverpool, their 'worthy friend' W T Linton came from Cumberland to support them, help them to find work and to make sure that they weren't sent to America.

This letter was also signed by 28 Polish men - Maurice included. Some of the names are the same as the letter of 1851.

There is a typo in the letter from the refugees. W T Linton is actually William James Linton, a chartist. You will find a number of references to his work online.

One account says that in 1851, he organised relief and employment for Hungarian and Polish refugees landing in Liverpool and that he twice frustrated attempts by the Government to persuade the refugees to sail the United States.

Linton argued this would sever links with the republican struggle and those who had already gone to America had trouble finding work.

Linton was secretary and treasurer of the Shilling Find for refugges. He hoped that the 4,600 Chartists still active would contribute to the fund, but it never raised enough to cover the costs of helping to support the 500 refugees Linton had on his books. Joseph Cowen - a Newcastle based industrialist - covered most of the costs.

Tyne and Wear Archives have quite a lot on Cowen - including items on the Polish refugees in Sheffield, which look interesting.

http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.u...dsqField=RefNo

There are connections with a man named Peter Stuart, a Liverpool shipowner, who met William James Linton in 1849.

Peter Stuart found one group of refugees accommodation in a disused soap factory and supplied them with food and money while local people brought them water and straw to sleep on.
Old 02-07-14, 19:34

Hi Shona,

Yes those are the 2 newspaper articles that i've referred to. I am interested in that some of the names are different 4 years apart. I wish I had the time to try and work out what became of each of the men.

That link is really interesting and wish I was able to view those documents relating to Cowen. He seems to have been very closely connected to the Polish Legion.

I wonder why these men were interested in the Polish refugees. Cheap labour maybe?
Old 03-07-14, 06:58

Some more info about the arrival of the Poles in Liverpool.

Mr Linton says:

"On reaching the Mersey their vessel was boarded by a Mr. Diosy, a Hungarian and emigration agent, deputed by the Literary Society of the Friends of Poland, with the object of persuading the refugees to accept a free passage to America, offered them by the British Government as the best means of getting rid of them. The Poles, already in communication with their countryman, Mr. Worcell, the chief of the Polish Emigration, refused to be so deported. Worcell had come from London to meet them, and I had joined him to be of what service I could to him and them. I tried to make interest for them, and called upon Robertson Gladstone, James Martineau, and other prominent men in Liverpool, but without effect. We then appealed to a public meeting ; with difficulty found an 'influential' chairman, and put the case before the meeting of nearly all working-men. In spite of some 'respectable' opposition, in spite of false statements circulated through the Liverpool Press, the meeting was successful ; working-men came forward, offering individual help : one man would take to his home and care for one of the refugees ; another man would take one more, and a committee was formed for further combined efforts.

"At first the strangers were lodged in a house allowed them by the Authorities ; but they were quickly informed that they would be ejected unless they accepted the Government terms. On the 12th of March, two days after our public meeting (they only landed on the 4th) they were accordingly turned into the streets. One generous man, Mr. Peter Stuart, a Liverpool merchant, was found to get them admission to an unused soap-factory, or they would have been houseless. My poor friend Worcell was too feeble from sickness to do more than direct, and I had to act for him, with the aid of a young Pole, who spoke French but could not speak or understand English. The soap-factory was in a back street in Liverpool, the room large enough, but quite bare, up a narrow flight of stairs. A rough crowd surrounded the door at the foot of the stairs as two hundred and thirty men passed in. An active friend, a Liverpool man, and an old chartist, got them a supply of straw, but there was no water in the place. I appealed to the crowd. 'What will you pay ?' 'Nothing,' explaining the circumstances, 'and you must bring your own pails.' 'I will,' said one woman in the crowd. 'I will,' said another. So we got water enough, allowing the bringers to go up-stairs to look at the strangers, which seemed to be considered a reward. At midnight, before leaving for home, I took a last look at the two hundred and thirty lying in rows on the floor, with one sentinel walking to and fro among them, so that no one should come in. So I left them to the action of the Committee on the morrow. Mr. Stuart sent them £50 and gifts of vegetables, etc."