Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 26-04-11, 16:57
Administrator

Hmm, having looked through your other threads about this family, I don't know whether you have got James Berry and Emma Pickles' marriage cert yet, or Emma's birth cert? I'm just wondering because on the 1901 census Emma Berry is a visitor at the home of Frederick Pickles age 38 born Cowling, Yorkshire, and going back through the censuses it appears that Frederick's father was John Pickles born about 1841-2 Cowling. Then on the 1861 census there is a John Pickles age 19 who is nephew of William Emmott age 42 born Cowling, so it looks likely to me that Nancy Emmott is the right wife for Robert Pickles, not Mary Holoran. I'll do a bit more digging later...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-04-11, 17:29

KiteRunner, I do appreciate your sleuthing. I will take this all in as soon as I can sit down to absorb it. I think you might have nailed it again but I do need to order some certificates, and your advice on which one(s) take priority is very useful. I feel a bit of a spending spree coming on. Thank you! And thanks again to Merry.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 26-04-11, 18:38
Administrator

1851 census - Great House, Kildwick, Yorkshire (ancestry says it is Kettlewell, not sure if that's right or not)
John Emmott Head Mar 60 Hand loom weaver (worsted) Yorkshire Sutton
Mary Do Wife Do 64 Do Cowling
William Do Son U 22 Power loom weaver (cotton) Do Do
Sarah Do Daur U 18 Hand Do (Do) Do Do
John Pickles Grandson 8 Bobbin winder Do Do

I've just realised the date of John Pickles' birth doesn't fit with the possible Robert Pickles / Nancy Emmott marriage! Hmmm....

Also in Kildwick on the 1851 census Robert Pickles is a widower age 31 lodging with a family of Smiths. His son David (age 7) is with a family called Ford, also in Kildwick, and his daughter Ann (age 5) is nurse child to a family called Whitaker in Cowling.

Old 26-04-11, 18:55
Administrator

So... in 1841 Robert Pickles is age 20 with his parents (David and Martha) in Cowling, then there is a possible Robert Pickles / Anne Emmott marriage Oct-Dec 1841 Skipton district. It's one of those with 8 names on the GRO page so we can't be sure who married whom from FreeBMD. Possible death for Ann Pickles Apr-Jun 1845 Skipton district (it's too early for age at death to be on the GRO index), the same quarter as there is a birth for Ann Pickles in Skipton district, so it could be that Ann sr died in childbirth or very soon after Ann jr's birth.

So, it looks as though Robert's first wife was Ann(e) Emmott, daughter of John and Mary, but was his second wife Nancy Emmott? There is a non-conformist christening listed on FamilySearch for Nancy Emmott, 28 Jun 1837 at Kildwick, parents John and Mary. But there is no Nancy with John and Mary in 1841. Also there is a married Nancy Emmott, age 24, on the 1851 census, so she might be the one. Or it could turn out that Robert's second wife was Mary Holoran and that Nancy Emmott is a red herring after all! So it seems to come back to the best thing being to get the James Berry / Emma Pickles marriage certificate, and Emma Pickles' birth certificate.

Old 25-11-14, 05:46

I need to pick through all of this again. There is probably a lot I can glean now.

Janet (Niagara)

Tags
to3g23