Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 16-04-11, 12:45
maggie_4_7

Default Unknown Sawyer

My OH’s mother's father's mother's mother's father.

Name:
? Sawyer

Date and place of birth:
Not known

Names of parents:
Not known

Date and place of baptism:
Not known

Details of each of his or her marriages:
Not known
But daughter Elizabeth Sawyer was born about 1826 in Marylebone, London, England and married James Benge about 1851/52 first child born 1852 don't have Elizabeth on a census before 1861

Not known

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK):
Not known

Date, place and cause of death:
Not known

Date and place of burial:
Not known

Details of will / administration of their estate:
Not known

Memorial inscription:
Not known
Old 18-04-11, 08:18

Hi Maggie - I have been searching some of the LMA records today and came up with this possibility;
a baptism of Elizabeth dau of Richard and Elizabeth Sawyer of East Street born 19/12/1825 and baptised 11/1/1826 at St Marylebone

In the 1841 census there is a transcription of an 'Elizth Sanger' that has been corrected to Elizth Sawyer by someone

She is aged 15 and living with parents Richd and Elizth Sawyer in East Street with quite a few siblings. It looks as though Richard is a bonnet maker - but am not too sure about that.

1851 census has Elizabeth transcribed as 'Lawyer' lodging at 29 Norfolk St aged 24 and working as a straw bonnet maker - which could tie in with Richard's occupation in the previous census. It gives her birthplace as Marylebone so this could well be your Elizabeth.
I hope these are of help
Old 18-04-11, 08:29

I can't find Elizabeth Sawyer and James Benge's marriage, Maggie.

Do you think she could have married before, therefore married under a different surname?

I'll have a look in a mo.
Old 18-04-11, 09:37

I have been looking for another marriage for her too Elizabeth but couldn't find one. Perhaps they just lived together. Grrrrrr

I have one of mine who I would really love to find the marriage for to confirm the father - but no - they didn't marry it seems.
Old 18-04-11, 09:37
maggie_4_7

oooh thanks Val in Oz and Elizabeth in Herts. I nearly never put this up it's so vague and has been a brick wall for a long time.

I have never managed to find a marriage the reason I have the name Sawyer I bought their daughter Jane Benge's birth certificate it has Elizabeth Benge formerly Sawyer on it.

That family in Marylebone look good.

I just looked at the baptism for Richard and Elizabeth and it looked like they had two daughters they named Elizabeth so I assume the first one died.
Old 18-04-11, 10:08
maggie_4_7

Richard Sawyer bonnet maker's daughter isn't my Elizabeth Sawyer it seems.

She is here marrying in 1854 a man named John Negus.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=6064936

Edit to say: However, on my travels and your Elizabeth Lawyer I found another one transcribed as Elizabeth Lawyer born in Marylebone servant in Essex.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...b5e12e7bc92f17

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 18-04-11 at 10:12.
Old 18-04-11, 10:28

Oops okay Maggie - that sorted that one out

Now, the other Elizabeth Lawyer - I had seen her too but she seemed a mite too far from home, however I did wonder if her place of birth was confused with the other servant just below her - who was born in London. (just to confuse things)
Old 18-04-11, 10:35

I have just re checked the two Elizabeth's baptised at Marylebone and one of them - the later one - gives her parents as Robert and Elizabeth of South Street, he too was down as a servant. So, is this the same family with the father's christian name down as Robert instead of Richard, or are we looking at two different Sawyer families I wonder?

Tags
to3g23