Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 04-12-10, 02:22
tenterfieldjulie

Default Ellen Thompson, Kersmains, Roxburghshire

Name: Ellen Thompson
Date and place of birth: Between 1795 to 1805, probably Roxburghshire Scotland
Names of parents: Unknown
Date and place of baptism: Unknown, Church of Scotland
Marriage: John Jeffrey/Jaffrey
Addresses: Kersmains Farm, Kelso, Roxburghshire, Scotland Date, place and cause of death: Before 1855
Date and place of burial. Scotland
Details of will: Unknown
Memorial inscription: Unknown
Sources of Information: 1. Elizabeth Jeffrey, the daughter, supplied the following information when she migrated to Australia on the ship “Nabob.” It departed from Liverpool, arrived Sydney 6/2/1855, she is 26 yrs old, a kitchen or dairy maid, can read and write, Ch of Scotland, coming from Kersmains, Roxburghshire, Scotland, both her parents are dead. 2. Elizabeth’s marriage cert. lists her parents as above. 3. Probably a parting gift, was a book by Rev. H. Bonar of Kelso given to her with H? Winchester’s Best Wishes 1854. 3. Neither I, or a lady at Scotland’s Peoples Centre in Edinburgh could find Elizabeth’s birth. 4. I fluked on information about John Jaffrey and Kersmains but I will post it on Research.
Old 04-12-10, 09:48
tenterfieldjulie

Default East Nisbet - 1841 Census

In the 1841 Cenus - we find at East Nisbet which is less than 4 miles from Kersmains Farmhouse - John Jaffrey 80 pauper born Roxburghshire; Helen (Ellen) Jaffrey 30 - ag. labourer born England; and Elizabeth 12 - ag labourer born Roxburghshire. This proves to me that Elizabeth is either a daughter or granddaughter of John Jaffrey not Jeffrey.
In July I obtained at the Heritage Hub at Hawik an amazing source of information for Kersmains farm from 1816 to 1819 when John Jaffrey was sold up by the Duke of Roxburgh. He disappeared leaving his wife to be served the papers. Is Ellen/Helen a daughter-in-law or young wife of the 80 year old? Was the 80 year old the tenant of the Duke or his son?
So Ellen, also called Helen, was born in England. Age in the 1841 Census 30 -so she was born between ............... and ................? Dying between 1841 and 1854. Most of the married Scottish women kept their maiden name, as Elizabeth did in Australia - where she married a German. Was Ellen/Helen buried under Thompson or Jaffrey being English?
Old 04-12-10, 17:22
Administrator

If Ellen / Helen is 30 on the 1841 census it means she was between 30 and 34, so she was born between 1806 and 1811. But she could have knocked a few years off her age, of course.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-12-10, 17:27
Administrator

Scotland's People has an inventory listed for John Jaffrey, 17 Jan 1851, FARMER IN KERSMAINS, THEREAFTER RESIDING AT SAINT ANNS YARD ABBEY IN EDINBURGH (sorry for caps, I copied and pasted from the site). You have to pay to view it (5 GBP, not sure what the Australian equivalent is) but hopefully it will give you details of next of kin etc.

Old 04-12-10, 17:49
Administrator

The only likely death I can see for the above, using the free OPR deaths & burials search on Scotland's People, is John Jeffrey 3rd July 1848 Edinburgh.

Old 04-12-10, 19:27
Administrator

A little snippet on Google Books from "The Scots Magazine, 1805":
BIRTHS
April 9. At Kersmains, Mrs Jaffrey, wife of Mr John Jaffrey, of twins.

Old 04-12-10, 22:40
tenterfieldjulie

Kite you are wonderful. Just as well you aren't closer or I would be dancing you around the room lol. That is really wonderful. I'm soooooooooo happy yippeeeeeeee
Old 04-12-10, 23:29
Administrator

Let us know what you find out, won't you, Julie?

Old 05-12-10, 05:36
tenterfieldjulie

Hi Kite, I bought the ScotsPeople Inventory and found answers, but more questions lol
John Jaffrey died on the 23 Oct 1822, living at St Anne's Yard Abbey Edinburgh (near the Botanic Gardens). His son James who was the executor of his estate, returned from Buenosayres (South America) where he had resided for 30 years in 1856 and must have decided to tidy up his father's affairs. Briefly his father owned one share in the Kelso Bridge, but had no other assets after being sold up due to debts. After 30 years this share was worth 50 pounds and so this was what the inventory was about. Has this tied John Jaffrey deceased 1822 to Elizabeth, only if he is her grandfather. Could the twins that were born in 1805 have been John (Elizabeth's father) and James (executor of will)? If so what happened to John Elizabeth's father? What I really need are BMDs.
Old 05-12-10, 11:10
Administrator

Hmm, it would help if we could find out ages for the John who died in 1822 and for James, wouldn't it? The only death I can see in Oct 1822 is John Jeffery 29th Oct 1822 at Leith South but I don't know whether it will be him or not. Maybe if you view the burial entry it might give enough info to determine if it is, and perhaps give his age at death.

Tags
to3g6