Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 05-11-10, 09:16
Administrator

Quote:
Me, too!
A cousin sent the will to me. Would you like to see it?
Yeh, go on then!

If you don't know Robert Brooks occ is that because it's not recorded on his childrens baptisms, or because you haven't seen the original record?

UPDATE: I've just seen the bap on the LMA index.....so, no occ recorded!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-11-10, 10:53
Joy Dean

The will is on A3 paper but shall still have a go at scanning - would be easier if I drove eastwards ...

No, no occ recorded
Old 05-11-10, 13:21
Joy Dean

It is on its way
Old 05-11-10, 13:50
Administrator

Thanks.

I don't have time to type out the whole thing today, but I jut read it and he seems to leave everything to his wife (will signed 3rd April 1808). The will wasn't proved until 1832. However, I can't read the additional bit written in the margin on the left hand side. Can you?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-11-10, 14:15
Joy Dean

Some of it, with great difficulty!
Something like -
On the 1st March 1847 Admon (with the will annexed?) of the Goods Chattels and Credits of Robert Brooks formerly of Newmarket Terrace Hackney Road but late of ? Street in the Parish of Saint John Wapping in the County of Middlesex deceased left ? by Elizabeth Brooks Widow deceased whilst living the Relict of the said ? the sole Executrix ?????????? the said Will was granted to Mary Wickens (wife of James Wickens) one of the natural and surviving children and as such one of the Universal (?) Legatees in the said will having ? first sworn by Commission duty to administer the said Elizabeth Brooks having died intestate.

So, maybe it is not my Robert as the name Wickens means nothing to me.
Old 05-11-10, 14:25
Administrator

Did your JBB have a sister called Mary and if he did, who did she marry?

Old 05-11-10, 14:50
Joy Dean

He does have a sister Mary - Mary Elizabeth Brooks baptised 24 May 1795 - but I haven't found a marriage for her; he also had a sister Eliza Judith baptised 2 April 1797, Jane Sarah baptised 3 June 1804, and Anna Maria baptised 3 April 1806 - all at St James, Westminster.

Edited - I have discovered nothing else about any of the sisters.

Last edited by Joy Dean; 05-11-10 at 16:35.
Old 08-11-10, 09:08
Administrator

Ok, so to prove the will of Robert Brooks isn't the father of JBB we have to show that Mary (Mrs James Wickens) isn't the same person as Mary Elizabeth Brooks baptised 24 May 1795.

Here is the marriage of the daughter of the testator:

Groom's Name: James Wickens
Bride's Name: Mary Brooks
Marriage Date: 1843
Marriage Place: Croydon, Surrey, England
Groom's Father's Name: James Wickens
Bride's Father's Name: Robert Brooks
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M09865-8
System Origin: England-VR
Source Film Number: 994335
Reference Number: 2:3FKS2DV
Collection: England Marriages, 1538–1973

Sadly I've not been able to find a certain, or very likely, match for the above couple on the censuses, but circumstantial evidence would suggest this Mrs Wickens isn't your Mary Elizabeth Brooks because the above bride has no middle name and spinsters marrying in their late 40s are pretty rare at that date, I think.

Old 08-11-10, 21:05
Joy Dean

Oh, thank you, Merry, that is kind of you.

I am ploughing my way through the burial records at St James, Westminster but other things in life get in the way now and then.
Am in 1804. Some lovely names such as Tryphena and I like the old way of spelling ie the f instead of an s - Clarifsa ... then I saw the surname Millhouse, and thought of the Simpsons!
Here's a first name I'd not seen before - Hippolite-Antoine - "ordinary" surname Martin.

Last edited by Joy Dean; 08-11-10 at 21:22.
Old 20-07-17, 14:25
Joy Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Yeh, go on then!

If you don't know Robert Brooks occ is that because it's not recorded on his childrens baptisms, or because you haven't seen the original record?

UPDATE: I've just seen the bap on the LMA index.....so, no occ recorded!
Robert was a coal merchant, according to directories and to the indenture of their elder son Robert Gifford Brooks.

Tags
to3g1