Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 11-12-09, 13:01

Default Margaret Lynch

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Margaret Lynch
Date and place of birth
Not known possibly Bradford thats what it says on 1911
Names of parents
She names her Father as Joseph Thomas Patrick Lynch on marriage cert (age at marriage 30)
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
not known
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
11 apr 1903 - horsham to George Arthur Boyle
Occupation(s) - if any
Artiste
Military service - if any

Addresses where they lived - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.
1911 71, Middleton Avenue, Greenford
This is the only census we have her on she says she has been married for 12 years but was only 8 - we think this is to hide the fact of her illigitamate son Alfred Leonard Leon who was brn 1899

Date, place and cause of death
17 Feb 1953 - Greenford Died aged 82 of broncho-pneumonia,
Date and place of burial / cremation.
Greenford Park Cemetery
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any
Old 11-12-09, 13:13
Administrator

Who were the witnesses at her wedding, Jan? Though I'm sure you've already been down that road!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-12-09, 13:42
Administrator

Have you confirmed whether these men/this man are/is connected?!!

Marriages Dec 1900
Lynch Joseph Thomas P Lambeth 1d 745 <<<<<<<<<<<<
Matthews John Thomas Lambeth 1d 745
Palser Harriett Lambeth 1d 745
Swallow Margaret Ann Lambeth 1d 745

Marriages Dec 1912
Compton Grace M Lynch Fulham 1a 821
HAWKINS William Morgan Fulham 1a 821
Lynch Joe Compton Fulham 1a 821
Lynch Joseph T P Compton Fulham 1a 821 <<<<<<<<<<
Morgan Mary H Hawkins Fulham 1a 821

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-12-09, 14:46
Administrator

Joseph Thomas Patrick Lynch who married Margaret Ann Swallow 11th Dec 1900 gave his age etc as 36, bachelor, Artiste, father Thomas Lynch deceased, also Artiste. So he was too young to be Margaret Lynch's father. Does Margaret Lynch give her father's occupation on her marriage cert, Jan?

(Oops, just noticed the occupation "Artiste" on your post! Presumably that was Margaret's occupation? But it certainly suggests a connection with the above!)

Old 11-12-09, 14:53
Administrator

Okay, on the 1901 census there is a Joseph Lynch age 36, Music Hall Artist, born Ireland, living in Westminster with a wife Margaret 31 born Northumberland, Nth Shields, no children. Margaret Ann Swallow on that 1900 marriage cert was age 31, widow, father Robert Ralph Lee, mariner. So if that is the same couple, maybe we can track Joseph back and see if he has a sister called Margaret on the earlier censuses. It's not that unusual for a brother's name to be given instead of father's on a marriage cert, so that could be the explanation.

Old 11-12-09, 14:54

Have been down the road of Joseph Thomas Patrick Lynch who married Margaret Ann Swallow 11th Dec 1900
That Margaret was previoulsy married cant recall her maiden name of the top of my head - but I think from memory she dies about 1909 and that Joseph Lynch remmaries.
I totally agreed it certainly looks like a connection but I just cant find one lol

Fathers occupation on mc was Publican

Witnesses James B King &
Leah Strickland (1881 census aged 2 born Margate - parents Francis & Theresa - comedians)
Old 11-12-09, 15:05

(Oops, just noticed the occupation "Artiste" on your post! Presumably that was Margaret's occupation?

Yes that was Margarets occupation :-)
Old 12-12-09, 12:42

Default Strange note in margin.....

Does anyone know what the mysterious note in the margin next to the marriage entry in the Ancestry LMA records for Joseph Lynch and Margaret Swallow in 1900 might mean ?

It says "Applicants for certified copy of entry 206 should be referred to the Registrar General".

I wonder why ?
Old 12-12-09, 12:57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Does anyone know what the mysterious note in the margin next to the marriage entry in the Ancestry LMA records for Joseph Lynch and Margaret Swallow in 1900 might mean ?

It says "Applicants for certified copy of entry 206 should be referred to the Registrar General".

I wonder why ?
Sounds like the sort of thing they wrote if the marriage had been annulled. Copies of such marriage certs are not supposed to be issued if requested.

Quote:
but I think from memory she dies about 1909 and that Joseph Lynch remmaries.
I'm not sure that is the same Joseph Lynch who remarried in 1912 as there is a Joseph P T Lynch on the 1911 census near to Fulham, but he was b in Yorkshire about 1875 (having said that, there is no obvious birth reg for this man, so maybe he is the other one with very different details?

I did write a long post on here yesterday after I posted up those two marriages, but it's not here now!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-12-09, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Sounds like the sort of thing they wrote if the marriage had been annulled. Copies of such marriage certs are not supposed to be issued if requested.

I'm not sure that is the same Joseph Lynch who remarried in 1912 as there is a Joseph P T Lynch on the 1911 census near to Fulham, but he was b in Yorkshire about 1875 (having said that, there is no obvious birth reg for this man, so maybe he is the other one with very different details?

I did write a long post on here yesterday after I posted up those two marriages, but it's not here now!
Jan and I have been stuck on this for so long - thanks for giving us something new to think about !!

I did successfully send off for that cert before the LMA records came online. We did wonder whether Margaret Swallow (nee Ralph) was my great grandmother, although she was born in Northumberland. My mother says her grandmother (Margaret Lynch) had a London accent though.

My great aunt said her mother (Margaret Lynch) was born in Ireland and was in the circus and the man she said was her father may have "taken her in". She was prone to getting confused in later years though so take that with a pinch of salt.

Alfred Leonard Leon's birth was never registered either just to make it even more confusing. He said his father was Alfred Leon, a publican, on his marriage certificate. Can't find him on 1901 either.

Tags
togg5