Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 22-05-12, 21:10

Okay, Stephen.

Michael Joyner left a will and Dorset Record Office have a holograph copy. Death duties were paid on this and the 1817 index on Find My Past shows that the executor was Geo Joyner, who I assume was Michael's youngest son, and your ancestor?

This link, which you have probably already found, seems to have a passing reference to Michael Joyner: http://www.communigate.co.uk/dorset/...et/page3.phtml

I can't find a marriage of Henry Joyner to Mary. This doesn't completely surprise me. A lot of the Dorset records don't seem to survive and Corfe Mullen is close to, if not actually on the coast, so people could arrive from other counties.
Old 22-05-12, 23:05

Thank you again Phoenix.

yes I've looked on the online parish clerks for Dorset, IGI and Family Search and communigate over the last few weeks. On communigate I didn't see the one you posted but only of the marriage of Michael's niece, Mary Ann Joyner, to a Pardy. Oh dear a Smuggler!! and here my Dad was a Customs Officer! How the circle turns!

For some reason Ancestry wasn't showing any 'hints' for any of these ancestors, until I entered the info. For instance, when kiterunner found the baptism of Michael, I then I entered the date of it (2nd Jan 1753) and THEN ancestry showed it in the hints.

When adding information to my tree I'm reticent to just scavenge unsourced information off other people's trees, although when all else fails I have occasionally temporarily added something to see if Ancesty comes up with a hint related to it. But that always runs the risk of being forgotten at the end of an unsuccessful search and remaining unsourced on my tree - which I don't like. I've seen some really wierd things on trees out there on the internet - even my own at times (I'll blame it on working through the night.) Like one time I was so chuffed about finally finding the birth or baptism of the man I was looking for that I didn't notice that he was born after he was married! (It wasn't his son either.) I came back months later and thought "What's this!" <embarrassed grin>

However on the downside, the sure and steady approach does make progress terribly slow at times.
Old 22-05-12, 23:43

A lot of people have researched the Joyners. I did all my initial research pre computers and I think I looked at transcripts for Corfe Mullen, rather than the registers themselves. I have Robert, Millier [sic], Susanna, Mickell & Mary.

I don't subscribe to Ancestry, which makes life very challenging as I can't see trees or spot obvious connections. But no matter how I search, I'm blowed if I can find a marriage for Henry!

Tags
to4g13