Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 29-08-12, 10:05
Administrator

Default Who Do You Think You Are - Patrick Stewart 29th Aug

This evening at 9 p.m. on BBC1. A Shakespearean actor best known for playing Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek The Next Generation!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 29-08-12, 14:07
Administrator

I thought this was quite interesting - the production team constantly keepng the subject in the dark:

http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/in...-think-you-are

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-08-12, 16:51

I suppose that makes for better drama? I don't mean that in a derogatory way - I almost always enjoy the programme - but it makes for better viewing. It's the same when we make our discoveries really
Old 29-08-12, 17:47
Administrator

The bit about not knowing where he was travelling to surprised me a bit as generally after some discovery or other is made the 'star' of the show says "so it looks as if I'll need to go to XYZ now" and then you see them on the train/plane etc - I never had the impression they didn't know where they were going. Maybe thy have to go back to film the links afterwards?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-08-12, 20:33

Thanks for the link Merry... sounds like another emotional rollercoaster

He's a fine actor... I'm looking forward to seeing this one
Old 29-08-12, 21:39

Oh dear. I'm struggling to stay interested. It's a history lesson.

OC
Old 29-08-12, 22:02

I found it very interesting. OK not much on family history but interesting all the same.
Old 29-08-12, 22:13
Administrator

Episode Synopsis

Sir Patrick Stewart was born in 1940 in Mirfield, Yorkshire. He lives in London and Oxfordshire. The episode focussed on the story of his father, Alfred Stewart who died in 1980.

Patrick's mother was Gladys Barrowclough and he had two older brothers, Geoffrey and Trevor. Patrick had heard that his father joined the army before Geoffrey's birth, and that his parents didn't get married until Geoffrey was about 8 years old.

Patrick visited the Imperial War Museum in London where a researcher showed him Alfred's military records. It turned out that Alfred joined the army in February 1925, soon after Geoffrey's birth (28th Jan 1925) and that he married Gladys in 1933. He was a Lance Corporal in the Regimental Police. After a 7 year term in the army he returned to civilian life but when WW2 started, he joined a territorial battalion of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI).

The KOYLI were sent to France in 1940 to join the British Expeditionary Force and build a transport network. Patrick visited the town library in Abbeville, Picardy, to find out more about this. The KOYLI arrived at Abbeville just as it was being bombed by the Germans and they had to retreat. They didn't leave France from Dunkirk, but from Cherbourg, being among the last Allied troops to leave France.

Patrick was given a newspaper cutting from the local Mirfield newspaper about Sergeant Alfred Stewart's return from France, which stated that he had been promoted to Sergeant at the front and that he was suffering from shell shock.

Alfred had been promoted to Sergeant Major by 1942, and in 1943 he volunteered to join the Parachute Regiment at the age of 38. In August 1944 he took part in Operation Dragoon in the South of France. Patrick met a 92-year-old man called Dick Hargreaves who served with Alfred and heard that they had protected the Allied HQ in a village, which Patrick then visited.

In 1945 Alfred was appointed Acting Regimental Sergeant Major of the 2nd Battalion of the Parachute Regiment. The Regiment had lost a lot of troops at Arnhem and Alfred helped to rebuild the Regiment.

Patrick's eldest brother Geoffrey always suspected that Alfred wasn't his real father. Patrick visited the Registry of Deeds and looked at records of the Dewsbury Petty Sessions from the 15th of May 1925 which showed that Gladys Barrowclough brought a bastardy application against Alfred Steward. There was a document which showed that Alfred appeard in court and acknowledged the child, and was ordered to pay 10s per week until the child was 16 years old. So it seems that Alfred was indeed Geoffrey's father.

Patrick then met the Vice Chair of the charity Combat Stress to find out about shell shock and its connection to domestic violence, and then went to see his brother Trevor in Mirfield to share his findings with him.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 29-08-12, 22:14
Administrator

As usual, I'm not in charge of the remote, so probably won't see it until tomorrow!

Old 29-08-12, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Oh dear. I'm struggling to stay interested. It's a history lesson.

OC
Me too. Kept falling asleep. A history lesson and a lecture on post traumatic stress.