Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-11-09, 14:22

Default Nunns on the run

I'm having another look at my Nunn family to try to fill in some of the blanks. Here's what I do know about them.

Edmund Nunn b. June 1844 Stoke Fleming Devon (got the cert.) married Mary Ann Rich b. about 1844 Broadclyst Devon in Feb. 1867 at Tormoham Devon (got the cert.). Edmund died q1 1929 in Lambeth and I'll hopefully find Mary's death when Ancestry issues the full index.

I have Edmund on every census from 1851 to 1911 and Mary with him from 1871 onwards. He was a domestic coachman. They had 6 children:

Emily Agnes Nunn b. q3 1867 Torquay. She is with grandma Nunn in 1871, with her parents in 1881 at 21 Ensor Mews Kensington and (I thought) a draper's assistant in Peckham in 1891. But now I've found on the LMA records her marriage in October 1886 at Holy Trinity Brompton Road to Harcourt Cecil Rundle Lees, a soldier aged 35. Her father was a witness. I can't find them in 1891 or later censuses (I assume they are in foreign parts in the army). And then in q4 1904 Harcourt Lees marries Beatrice Cavill in Reading. The Cavill family appears again later in the story. So what happened to Emily Agnes?

Lucy Nunn b. about 1868 in Torquay. She too is with grandma Nunn in 1871 and with her parents in 1881. Again in the LMA marriages I've found her marriage in Feb. 1888 again in Holy Trinity Brompton to John Pearson Newman aged 21 a sailor. This time the witnesses are Henry and Alice Bradford (see Alice Maud Nunn below). I can't find any further trace of Henry and Lucy.

Alice Maud Nunn b. Feb. 1870 in Torquay. I have her entire life history sewn up. She married Henry Bradford on the same day as her sister Emily and had a short but exciting life, dying of TB in 1898.

Robert Edmund Nunn b. q4 1871 in Torquay. He is with his parents in 1881 and 1891 (by now at 25 Archel Road Fulham). I can't see what happened to him after that.

Sidney Thomas Nunn b. q3 1873 Barnstaple (nearest match I could find but Barnstaple seems rather unklikely). He is with his parents in 1881. He marries Harriet Norman in July 1896 at Marylebone Parish Church (LMA record) and then dies in q1 1900 in Lambeth. In 1901 Harriet is a widow aged 27 in Marylebone. Sidney married with a third given name of Glenthorne, which is also his p.o.b. in 1881. I think that's Sidney's life more or less sorted.

Charles J Nunn b. about 1879 in Kensington. He is with his parents in 1881 and 1891. In 1901 he is at 21 Raphael Street Knightsbridge aged 22, cousin to Arthur F Cavill, who is the eldest brother of Beatrice Cavill (see Emily Agnes paragraph).

I've now got chapter and verse on the Cavill family, who lived in and around Reading.

Any further nuggets of information and new leads will be very welcome.
Old 01-11-09, 19:14
Administrator

Have you looked on the "overseas" indexes for a death for Emily Agnes?

John Pearson Newman died Oct-Dec 1891 London City, age 25.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-11-09, 23:40

I think this is Lucy and John P Newman in 1891 (Lucy is transcribed as born Lorquay)

RG12, piece 22, folio 132, page 39

After John Pearson Newman's death she remarried (I'm pretty sure its her) - and the name of her husband is.......

Arthur Frederick Cavill

Ancestry LMA marriages, 23.4.1894 St Paul's Church, Islington

If its the same Arthur F Cavill who was living with Charles Nunn in 1901, I don't know where she is or why he is shown as unmarried

Jackie
Old 02-11-09, 06:09
Administrator

Lucy may have died in 1901, but after the census:

Deaths Dec 1901
Cavill Lucy 34 Lambeth 1d 278

At the moment I can't see anyone to fit this death reg on the 1901 census.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-11-09, 06:12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie H View Post

If its the same Arthur F Cavill who was living with Charles Nunn in 1901, I don't know where she is or why he is shown as unmarried

Jackie
Erm.....that Arthur is shown as married, so that's better!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-11-09, 14:12

Thank you one and all. Off to look for Harcourt and Emily Agnes overseas.

Arthur Frederick Cavill married again in q4 1904 in Paddington and died in Epsom q4 1910. I've found the marriage in FreeBMD (Gertrude Mead or Margaret Lydia Arben) but can't find it in the LMA records. I have found a Margaret Lydia Cavill in 1911 in Hampstead but haven't found anyone with her.

The gem for me is the marriage of Lucy Newman (nee Nunn) to Arthur Cavill. The witnesses are George Duncan Powrie and Alice Maude Powrie (Lucy's sister Alice). George was the co-respondent in Alice's divorce and they never married. He died of TB about 6 months after this marriage. They had one son out of wedlock, and he has living descendants in New Zealand.

The Nunn family shows just how fragile life was for city dwellers at the turn of the century. Edmund and Mary seem to have outlived most or all of their children.

Last edited by Uncle John; 02-11-09 at 14:35.
Old 02-11-09, 14:38

I can't see anything for Emily Agnes in the overseas records on familyrelatives.
Old 07-01-10, 20:44

Hi there, I was kindly informed of this forum by someone and therefore new to this site.
My great-grandfather Charles Cavill was Beatrice's brother. He was born in 1891 in Reading Berkshire to John Cavill born 1853 in Liverton Devon who was born to William Cavill (c1825) from Washfield who was a police constable. The 1901 Census shows Charles aged 10 living at 61 Henry Street Reading. I thought his siblings were Agnes, Beatrice, Daisy, May and Sydney. I didn't realise there was another brother. I assume I've got the correct family.
Kind Regards
Debbie
Old 07-01-10, 20:48

Uncle John, I would be very interested to know what you have found about the Cavills. I was under the impression as a child that Charles my great-grandfather was Scottish but now realise his family are from Devon. The story goes that my great-great-grandfather John Cavill was killed by a cheese roll falling on him. How true this I don't know but it's a story my grandad would tell. My great-grandad married Marie Schleider which opens a whole new can of worms....
Kind Regards Debbie
Old 08-01-10, 20:34

Hi Debbie, as I explained to you (I assume it was you!) on GR, the Cavill family popped up "by accident", earlier in this thread. The Cavill bit of my tree starts with the marriage of John Cavill to Emily Rich in Reading in q2 1872. I simply followed the family forward through the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses, which was prety straightforward as most of them stayed in and around Reading. I found a total of 9 children. The eldest 2, Arthur and Lily, were in London in 1901 and the third child William John was a footman near Chichester. I found the births in the BMD index but you'd need to confirm them with certificates. Arthur's first marriage is in the LMA marriages on Ancestry.

By the way, for anyone else wanting to know what happened, I have had a GR contact who connects via Harcourt Lees's third marriage. He was born in India and was a soldier in a stores depot in Scotland for all of WWI. His war records are on Ancestry.

Last edited by Uncle John; 08-01-10 at 20:39.